Being pregnant is funny. The feelings that I feel, the things that people say to me.
For one thing, my emotions are, and have been, on a roller coaster. I cry at silly commercials, and can get freaking mad at the littlest things. One minute I'm laughing, and thinking positively. Then something small will happen, and I'm so mad I'm shaking, and crying at the same time.
Maybe these emotions are part of why I think it's funny what people say to pregnant women.
I was at my MOPS group back in October, when I was 6 months pregnant. Now, I wasn't 'huge', but I was definitely showing. And on this particular day I was wearing a maternity shirt that really showed off my bulge. We did an icebreaker, where we met new people. I told one of the women that I met that I was pregnant, and she said "Really? I never would have guessed. You don't look pregnant." I looked down, and couldn't even see my toes, my belly was sticking out so much. But I didn't look pregnant? So then, did I just look fat? In her defense, the woman was nice...and maybe she was trying to make me feel good. It didn't work, though.
Last night my mom was the lucky recipient of my sensitivity. She was making her daily phone call to see if I was in labor and didn't tell her, and was asking how I was feeling, and all that kind of stuff. Then she asks, "Is that baby ready to be born yet?" I said "Please tell me you're not going to ask me that every day from now until it happens." I think I scared her. She hung up with me right after that. But the thing is...I would LOVE it if I knew when this baby would come. As it is, I wake up every morning wondering if this could be the day. And go to bed every night (so far) feeling just a little disappointed. I don't need someone else asking me if I think I'm going to have the baby today, or if the baby is ready to come.
Today I was at the Christian bookstore, making an exchange. The cashier started off making me feel really good. She asked me when my baby was due, and when I told her next week, she said "Wow...you look great! When I was due, I was huge, but you look really great!" This, of course, made me feel really good. Then she asked me if I was having a boy or a girl. I told her we didn't know. She finished up my transaction, and I noticed that she was kind of staring at me. Then she says "I've heard that if you have hair all over your face and your neck, like you do, that it's a boy." What?! I know that I have some 'down' on my face and neck, but I guess I thought it was only obvious to me. This lady saw it from across the counter, and decided to point it out to me? Nice. I withheld the tears, and just said "Well, I was the same way with her (I had Becca with me), and she's a girl." Then I left.
Maybe I need to wear some kind of 'Caution' T-shirt. Warning people that I may take offense to anything they say. Then again...my burgeoning belly should be caution enough, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment