Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday Free For All

P.S. For some reason, this post is not allowing me to put spaces between the paragraphs. I apologize ahead of time for the incredibly loooong paragraphs!

As is true to my 'random' posts...this is long, all over the place, and a little bit senseless. But that is how my brain unloads, I'm afraid.

--We should find out something today about the offer we extended on the house with the boat in the yard. The last we heard, it was going to 'committee' at the end of this week. 'Committee' is when the bank looks at the offer, discusses it, and (we think) decides if they will accept it. It has been a month since we wrote the offer, so we are hoping to hear something soon.

Our realtor told us that if they do accept the offer, then we might close on the house in as soon as a week. This is exciting, but also a little bit stressful. We might be moving in a few weeks, or we might not. Do we pack? Do we plan? For now, we're just waiting. It does make things hard to plan, though. Becca's birthday is March 17, and I would like to have some kind of a party for her. It's hard to plan for it though, since we don't know where we'll be living, or even if we'll be moving that weekend.

--We are leaving tomorrow morning to go to my in-laws for the weekend. We were tossing around the idea of going, but we didn't want to miss church. Then we got a call from our realtor saying that they want to do an open house at this house we're renting on Sunday. From 12:30-2:30. That would mean the normal craziness of getting ready for church, with the added craziness of making sure the house is spotless before we go, and making the girls miss their naps after a busy morning at church. (They are both usually very tired after church).

That said, we decided to go to my husband's parents house. We were going to leave today after hubby gets out of work, but decided to wait until tomorrow morning so that we have another evening to get the house ready. Then there's less time for it to get messy tomorrow, if we leave first thing in the morning.

Hubby is looking into taking Monday morning off of work so that we can stay two nights. Happy sigh....

--What a rough week it has been! I know that I am not alone in this, based on the blogs that I read regularly. It seems that many of us are going through a rough time right now. For myself, I wonder if it's PMS, the weather (winter always makes me a little depressed), depression, or just me being human.

My attention has been drawn to these verses in Romans 7 many times this week. (From The Message)

16I can anticipate the response that is coming: "I know that all God's commands are spiritual, but I'm not. Isn't this also your experience?" Yes. I'm full of myself—after all, I've spent a long time in sin's prison. What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God's command is necessary.

17-20But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.

21-23It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.

24I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?

25The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.
These verses, it seems, could sum up my life perfectly right now. I am learning this week that I am my own worst enemy.
Isn't it funny how we are, as humans? Just a few days I wrote a post about gathering grace. How grace is available to us everyday, we just need to gather it. And yet, here I am, in need of grace, but not making the effort to gather it.
I could go on and on about what a rough week it has been for me, emotionally, but I don't think that would do any of us any good. I'm struggling. That's it. But there is hope! That is what I cling to.
--Is anybody else excited about this season of American Idol? I actually really like just about everyone I've seen in the top 24. There are a few that have the potential to make me cringe, but for the most part, they're good. I'm excited.
--Thank you to all of you who gave me encouragement and advice about getting up early. It has been a blessing to me. I have decided not to do cardio early in the morning, as I'm too tired and don't have the energy, but I do my Bible study in the morning, and have my prayer time. I might start doing Pilates or yoga in the morning...something to get my body going, but that doesn't require the energy that cardio does.

For know, I do my cardio during naptime. I'm hoping though, that as I get used to waking up early, I start to get more energy. We'll see.
--I don't know if I've mentioned it recently, but I really appreciate all of you who read my blog. And I appreciate your comments. While you are not the reason that I write this blog (it is an outlet for me and my thoughts), you have become a source of encouragement for me in this journey. The other day I was talking to my husband about my day, and was mentioning something I read on one of your blogs. He said "I wonder if your name is as constant in your bloggy friends homes as their names are in ours." He tries to keep up with you all, and it's funny.
Jennifer in Tokyo is easy to remember...she lives in Japan and has had 7 kids! And there's Sarah in California who has a connection to Campus Life. He of course knows Tara, as she is one of my best friends in 'real' life, and Earen, who helped make MOPS a great experience for me in CO. There are Jenni, Sarah, Sittintall, and Mari; my Michigan bloggy friends. While he knows each of them live in MI, he has a hard time separating them in his mind. There's Denise in CA who has now become 'the friend who made the cool tour of her house for her 100th post'. And Bethanne who will forever be known by the first comment I read of hers. She said her son wrote "I love beer" in church. When she asked him about it, he said "But I do love deer!" For whatever reason, this still cracks us up. (Love you Bethanne!) And there's Jennifer in GA who I refer to as "my girl in GA who makes me think of southern hospitality." He also listens patiently as I tell him my bloggy friends who are friends with each other touch my heart. Alana, Shelley, and Janelle...for whatever reason, I always have a mental block as to where you live. But I like to imagine what your get togethers must be like! And also Kristen at Idaho Mom. She's the friend who actually sent me an Advent book because she had an extra, and who is reading Anna Karenina with me.
You are all special to me in your own way. And you're all so much more than the short description my husband knows you by. And for those of you who read but don't comment, I appreciate you too!! (Although it would be fun to hear from you sometime!)
--My Valentine's evening was good. It was a little more dramatic than I would have liked it to be, thanks to my 'funk' (I was crying when my hubby walked in the door last night, and wasn't able to really stop until after the kids were in bed.) But even with the dramatics, it was a good night. I have a wonderful husband. It is because of him that I can understand more of how God loves me. And for that, I am blessed beyond measure.
--Happy Friday!! I'm praying that all of us who are in a 'funk' find our our way out soon!

15 comments:

Kristen said...

Have a fun weekend away! I am praying for good news about the house and for you to get out of the "funk". There seems to be quite a bit of it going around lately.

Bloggy friends are wonderful, and such a blessing. So fun to have connections in other parts of the world. I enjoy reading your blog and getting to know you Renee. I am thankful for your blog!

I got up early and read some of Anna. I am not to the end of the first part yet but we have a quiet weekend so I am hoping to get quite a bit of reading done. Maybe we can "chat" over email next week about the book!

Oh - good job on getting up early in the morning! I hope you grow to enjoy the peace of the early mornings. Some days it is a struggle to get out of bed but it is so worth it!

Sarah Markley said...

I appreciate you too, Renee! I'm glad you are doing well (and so exciting about the house stuff). Thank you for the passage - I love the Message. Yes, Renee, you are the blog friend who lives has the connection to CL and has two girls like me! =)

Jenni S. said...

What wonderful things you said! You have such a sweet heart from what I've gathered from blog posts and e-mails, and I look forward to knowing you more. Have a wonderful, relaxing weekend. And may God lift the funk (for me too!). :)

Denise said...

we blog friends need to get together and go on a defunk retreat!

that would be a blast! just the thought of it makes me defunk for a moment.

thank you for the scripture, i think a good bit of my problem could be avoided if i weren't so dang full of myself. i love paul. he should be our retreat speaker :-)

yes, by God may we find our way out, and find ourselves closer to our Maker.

enjoy your weekend away. i too am off for the weekend (ugghhh, can i just say i hate packing,and monday i will hate unpacking). i hope being away will bring fresh perspective.

your terrific!

Alana said...

Yes! I am LOVING American Idol this season. Can't wait to see next week's episode!

I would consider doing a party away from home for the birthday girl! That way you can plan it, but don't have to worry about where you are living ;-)

Sorry about the funk. I have been stuck in the house for most of three weeks with someone sick so I feel your pain.

Love being your bloggy friend!

Mari said...

I talk about my blog friends the same way and my husband doesn't always get it, but he listens. I have made good friends through blogging - kind of like pen pals used to be! I hope your weekend goes well and you get an answer on the house soon!

Janelle said...

Oh, our adventures in B-town are always exciting! Wouldn't it be great for you to come visit us so we could show you how exciting we are in real life! Thanks for your sweet and kind words. I, too, consider you friend.

Hope the house deal goes through!

Thanks also for sharing the Good Word today with us!

BethAnne said...

I hope you guys have a wonderful stress-free weekend! It is good that you are getting away for a couple of days and getting your mind off the whole house issue. I hope the house thing works out and the 'committee' makes their decision soon. And, yes, my hubs also knows who Renee is (even though your kids apparently dont like beer/deer as much as mine does ;-). This blog thing is so much fun (addictive even) and who knew that one could meet so many people and know them without ever having seen them in person? Amazing. We are getting a jump on heaven if you ask me......when we get to heaven, we will have a lot to talk about, but little to catch up on because we do that everyday here on earth.
Well, all I can say is......I hope your kids are playing in that boat in their own yard in a few weeks!

Shelley said...

It is kinda like pen pals! I love these friendships. I love meeting people who I'm sure, if we lived close, I'd be friends with in real life. Speaking of real life friends, I adore Alana and Janelle, and we do have some awesome times. That's what Mops did for me, gave me life long friends!

And YES! I am SO excited about American Idol this season! In fact, I think it's the most excited I've been out of all the seasons! I can't wait to hear them sing more so I can pick my favorites!

I really hope your contract is accepted. Thanks for being Real with us, and sharing your scriptures.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes! I do the same thing. I 'talk' about my Blog friends and my cynical husband says that you all are really dirty old men masking as good Christian women. :) He's always telling me to be careful......

I just laugh! (but really, it COULD be true!) Ha!

Renee---if that's who you really are, I enjoy reading your Blog and glad that you are part of my life!

Short Stop said...

I have been reading, reading, reading your posts but just have little time to comment these days...you know, newborn...!

BUT, I love how honest you always are, Renee...and I am so thankful that I met you in this crazy bloggy world! Thank you for your sweet words!

Sittintall said...

I really hope that the "funk" leaves you soon. I have heard from so many people that it is going around. I think this weather really has a lot to do with it, but whatever the reason, my prayers are with you.

As to the encouragement from fellow bloggers, I am totally with you. You have been a blessing to me, as are so many other bloggers. I find if you are willing to be vulnerable and honest, so many people are there for you to lift you up (and it truly helps, even if you haven't met some of the people). Thanks for your honesty, encouragement, and faith. You are a blessing. Hope the house thing is looking promising.

BethAnne said...

Ummmm, we need to know about the house, please? hahahaha

Earen said...

Renee...you're so sweet & I love your heart. I think I might need to pick up a copy of The Message..I read the translation on all your blogs & love the way it explains things.

Thank you for your friendship friend and I pray that the Lord give you His favor and an extra dose of His sweet presence...He is with you always!
Hugs!!

BethAnne said...

I hope the reason you havent blogged in almost a week is that you are moving........let us know.