Thursday, February 21, 2008

Journey in the Desert: Day 211

Yes, I'm still alive!! And very wordy, so consider yourself warned.

When I first started documenting our Journey in the Desert, I intended to count from the day our townhouse went on the market until the day we bought our own home here in Michigan. Then this journey, this move, would finally be completed.

I had no idea that we would still be waiting for an end to this move 7 1/2 months later. But, here we are. And God is faithful. We cannot presume to tell Him how He should work, or put limits on His plans. So we keep on.

This is not easy to do at the moment, to be honest. We put an offer on a home that we think would be great for us over a month ago. We were supposed to hear if our offer was accepted at the end of last week.

It's Friday of this week, and nothing has changed. There has been no progress.

Our realtor actually stopped by the other night to tell us not to give up. There are no other offers on this particular house, and we have nothing else to lose, at the moment, as there are no other houses out there that we like as much as this house with the 'boat'.

She then continued to tell us about the house that we originally put the offer on back in October (it is her listing). She told us that this house has had 5 offers on it over the last month and a half. 5 offers that have been sitting stagnant at the bank. 5 offers that held hope for the homeowners who were about to lose their home. 5 offers that sat motionless at the bank while the redemption period for the homeowners slipped away, and the house switched ownership to the bank. 5 offers that will cause bitterness and frustration to the homeowners who could have sold their home, if only the bank would have taken some action and either approved or declined these offers.

So now we pray. Pray that this doesn't happen to the home we are wanting to buy. We pray that our offer is looked at, and that actions are made. We pray that God's will be done, and that there will be an end to this journey.

We pray for the chance to be able to sit down with Becca and tell her that she can pick out the colors for her room. That she can put her things wherever she thinks they belong. That we're not moving again, and that after this long journey, we're home.

What makes this situation more painful for us is that the house we're currently renting is on the market. As I mentioned in my last post, there was an open house here this past weekend. We had a showing yesterday afternoon, and there's another showing this evening. Every time we leave the house so that someone else can come look at it, it is a reminder to Becca, and to us, that we are just staying in someone else's home. And that there may be another move in our future, if this home sells before we are able to buy a home of our own.

All this said, we are clinging to our faith. To the promise that God is faithful. To my life verse:
"For I know the plans I have for you", says the Lord "plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a future, and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

-Since I'm already babbling, I'll continue in my rant.

A couple of you have asked about Becca's most recent trip to the allergist. We took her to a new doctor here in Michigan a few weeks ago. They did a skin test on her, and she tested positive for eggs, (which we already knew, but were hopeful that she had outgrown), wheat, beef, (???) dogs, cats, and a slight allergy to fish mix.

They didn't test for milk or nuts because we know from recent reactions that she is still allergic. And the dr told us that she is likely to keep accumulating allergies as she grows up. The food allergies may decline, but she will most likely gain seasonal/environmental allergies.

We were disappointed about the wheat allergy. We did a wheat challenge when she was 18 months old, and she seemed to do well, so we have been feeding her wheat since then. (We jumped at the chance to start feeding our skinny little girl some carbs). The doctor told us that there is a big debate in the field of allergy right now about whether it is better to completely avoid an allergen, or to have repeated exposure to the allergen, in order to build up antibodies.

He said that he has always prescribed to the thought that complete avoidance is best, but also thought that it might be a good thing that Becca has antibodies to wheat in her blood, and doesn't exhibit any major signs of allergy. (She has 'allergy shiners' almost all the time (purple around her eyes), but there are no other visible symptoms.)

Anyway...he said that it was up to us whether or not we wanted to continue to give Becca wheat and beef. (The beef isn't as bad if it is cooked all the way through, like in hamburgers (her favorite food).
Her one year appointment is scheduled for April. We will discuss her weight with the doctor then, and see if she's gaining enough weight.
-On a related note, we took Allie in this week for her one year check up. Everything looks good (although she's cutting 5 teeth right now), except the doctor is a little concerned about her weight gain. She has only gained one pound since October. She has been sick quite a lot in the last month, so we're not sure if that has something to do with it. The doctor is concerned because of Becca's allergies, and Allie's recent introduction to whole milk. We're supposed to give her fattening foods (yogurt, butter), and see if we can put some weight on her. We go back in a month for a quick weight check to see if she has made any progress.
Now for the good news.
-I'm still getting up early with my husband most mornings for quiet time and prayer. This has really made me feel better about my days before they've even begun.
-I have been trying to eat healthy and exercise regularly for the last 2 months. This hasn't been as consistent as I'd like, but I'm working on it. I have lost 7 lbs so far, and I haven't been measuring myself, but my clothes are starting to fit a little looser. And my stomach is noticeably smaller. I still have a loooong way to go, but it feels good to be on this end of things.
-Oh yeah, and there's something that might make my weight loss slow down. Last Saturday morning I took a positive pregnancy test! If everything goes well, it looks like we will get to meet our newest family member sometime around the end of October, beginning of November. My first dr's appointment is next Thursday. (I'm still working out though...I never really lost the weight I gained with Allie, so I'm starting as 'obese'...that means this pregnancy has to be a healthy one, on all fronts.) Of course it is still really early, and a lot can happen, but regardless of what may happen, we are rejoicing in the life of our 3rd child.
So that's my news. It's been a crazy week, but I hope to make the bloggy rounds over the weekend. I have been missing you!




11 comments:

Mari said...

Wow - way to throw that exciting news out there at the end of the post! Congratulations - I'm happy for you. You also have a good attitude about all the waiting you are doing with the house. Praying is the best thing you can do and if it's the best for you, God will put you there!

Short Stop said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Congratulations! I'm rejoicing right along with you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Renae! That is wonderful news. What a year you've had!

Poor little Becca. I think I told you my nephew was diagnosed with allergies this year. His doctor told them that the allergies will increase as he is treated, as they "come to the surface," and then they will begin to diminish as he responds to treatment. I hope that is encouraging. It would make sense to me. There are so many stressors in the environment all around us now that our bodies are definitely taxed in dealing with it all. Anything you do to alleviate stressors on her little body will help - I'm sure you feel discouraged sometimes, but try to remember that every little bit DOES help.

The fact that you are writing with such a positive attitude tells me that you are definitely being carried. "He gently leads those who are with young." One day you will look back and be amazed that you got through it all! :)
Until then, hang in there.

Blessings,
Jen

Shelley said...

WOW! Congratulations! I am so inspired by your faith and your positive attitude. I'll continue to pray for your house situation, and now for your new sweet baby!

I had just started losing the weight from baby #2, when I got preggo with baby #3. I struggled with that a little. I was frustrated with myself for not losing the weight faster, and therefore starting out pregnancy "obese." However, it turned out fine. I didn't gain nearly as much weight the 3rd time, and ended up at about the same weight after baby #3 as I did after baby #2. I think keeping up after the first 2 helps a lot with that!

Sittintall said...

Congratulations! That is wonderful news. If only the house or allergy deal would be going a little bit better. I hope that things the Lord brings closure to the moving business soon. I can't imagine the stress you've had to endure. Hang in there, and get some rest for that little one.

BethAnne said...

OMIGOODNESS!!!! YAY! How exciting! I cant believe you just threw that HUGE tidbit of info in the last line!!! Congratulations! I cant wait to hear about the house situation......I know its easy for me to say, but God will work it all out for you guys and PERFECTLY! Hang in there!

Kristen said...

YEAH - CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so thrilled for you and your family!

I will be praying about the house situation and the girls. Landon didn't gain any weight from 6 months until his 15 month check up. He had been sick and he was moving around and was so active he didn't gain much weight.

I am glad to know you are still getting up in the mornings. Is it getting easier??

Now I know why you kept falling asleep reading Anna - your body was working hard on growing the baby! How is Anna coming? I am still plugging away but I haven't had as much time as I would like to read it.

Earen said...

Congratulations friends on the new little one! What a wonderful gift of rejoicing for you all amidst this difficult time. Keep me posted.

I'm sorry for all the house stuff you've had to deal with. Sometimes it's in the waiting that we learn & sometimes it really stinks. I will continue to pray for your home & over your daughters allergies.

Love you friend & so thrilled for baby #3...maybe a boy this time!

Janelle said...

RENEE!!!! Oh that is the best news. Congratulations. There must be something in the cyber-water.

Great update as well. I love hearing your heart when you share your life with us!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

That is better news than any real estate transaction!(okay, I know you are even more than ready to settle now!)

Obese? No way! I just saw those profile pics. Keep exercising and I gain less weight when I carry my boys!

What great news! I am dancing all the way in Japan!

Jenni S. said...

OK, being out of town, I'm just catching up on blog-reading, but...CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm so excited for you about the pregnancy.

On the allergy note, so sorry to hear about additional allergies! We're going to be having further testing on Anna in April since she too seems to be continuing to struggle with some unknown allergies (random allergy shiners and we're not sure what's setting her off). I'll be praying for wisdom for you and for the doctors!