Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas Show & Tell

I wanted to share a few things that I am enjoying this Christmas.


My mom bought us these stockings this year. We have them personalized for my husband and I too, but we only have the two stockings hanging up right now. (We only had 2 stocking holders, and are waiting to find out if our home has a fireplace before we buy more.) She got them through Pottery Barn-I think they were like $15 personalized and everything. They're red velvet, and I love them! They're really big too, which I think the girls will like when they're a little older.











Again, we have them personalized for my husband I too, but you get the picture. I love these ornaments...I think they're beautiful and classy. I saw a picture one of my best friends had of her little boy holding one of these, and I had to find out where she got it from. Bronners is a store here in Michigan (actually very close to my husband's hometown). It is a really neat store...it's huge, and it's open all year long. So you can get a bit of Christmas anytime you want! You can buy these ornaments online, and they'll ship them to you.


This is our Fisher Price Little People nativity. The girls love it, and it's so fun to see Becca re-enacting the story of Jesus' birth.


I ordered some gifts from Christianbook.com, and this book was heavily discounted with the items I purchased. I couldn't pass it up, and am glad that I bought it. It's a little too old for the girls right now, but I look forward to reading it to them in the future. They do a good job of explaining what Christmas is about, and they address Santa as well.



This is the book that I bought the girls this year. (I like to buy them a new Christmas book each year.) It has quickly become Becca's favorite, and we have a lot of fun reading it to her every night before bed. The pictures are really colorful and pretty, too.




This is the CD that I bought for the girls this year (okay, so I actually buy a new CD for both the kids and us, and a new Christmas book for the kids). It is a really fun CD, and I have already mentioned that the song 'Was He a Boy Like Me' is a big hit in our house, and we don't even have a boy like him to relate to!


And this is the CD I bought for my husband and myself. Jennifer recommended it on her site when she was talking about her favorite Christmas music, and I ordered it the next day. (At least I'm not impulsive!) I'm glad I took her advice...it's a fun CD! They sing a lot of the classics, but they add a little bit of a rock vibe to them. It's a fun CD to listen to while cleaning, or driving in the car. I also did our Christmas cards while jamming to this. Thanks, Jennifer!

Now I would like to know what some of your favorite Christmas 'things' are. Also...I am very interested in celebrating Advent in our home. I got a few ideas from a speaker at MOPS this year on how to celebrate each Sunday, but I'm looking for more ideas. I would love suggestions on books with ideas, or a neat calendar... Please share with me what you do in your house to celebrate this Holy season.

For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given, And the government shall be upon His shoulder, And His Name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace

8 comments:

Kristen said...

How fun was this!!! I love those stockings - they are beautiful! The ornaments are wonderful as well. They look so classy with the presonalization!

Our kids are loving the LP nativity too! I just bought the additional shepherds for Landon and my mom sent the drummer boy. I think we are all set with the nativity now. It is so fun to see them acting out the story.

We have the God Gave Us You book so now I will have to check out the Christmas one and I know Landon would LOVE that Veggie Tale book and CD. I may have to hit our local Christian book store today to see if I can find it!

The last two years our church has done an advent fair where we learn about advent, make a project and then we get a book full of ideas. I have an extra book, if you email me your address I would be happy to send you the copy. There are so many good ideas(link on my blog profile page)! The key is to just be ready and plan ahead.

This year our final unit for the semester for school is Christmas. It has been so fun doing this with Morgan. We are talking about Christmas in Mexico, Sweden, Germany - making crafts, reading the bible, studying prophecy, etc.. All things I want to continue every year. Next year I want to do a Jesse Tree and an Advent calendar - hoping to get some deals after Christmas. We play lots of Christmas music, make Jesus a birthday cake, and read lots of Christmas stories!

Shelley said...

Those stockings are beautiful! I love Pottery Barn ANYTHING! And the ornaments are beautiful too!

We got an Advent Calendar 2 years ago, when my oldest child was 3 years old. I got it from a catalog called "Constructive Playthings." It's a magnetic board with the background of the Nativity on it. The board is surrounded by wooden boxes numbered 1-24. Each box contains a piece of the Nativity scene, stars, animals, angels, mary, joseph, Jesus...Every day of advent, the kids get to open the box for the day, and put the piece they find on the board. The pieces are little, so we do keep it out of reach of the baby. You can hang it on the wall too! I LOVE this advent calendar, because every day when we put the piece on, we talk about what role that piece played in the story. For instance, if it's a star, we talk about how God put a special star in the sky for the shepherds and wise men to follow. It has really cemented the story in the minds of my girls! This has become one of our favorite Christmas traditions!

Mari said...

The stockings and ornaments are beautiful. I have been to Bronners - it's a fun place.
We love the veggie tales at our house - Even though our kids are grown, we still watch the movies when a new one comes out. (Our church library has them) As a matter of fact - I now have the theme song running through my head!

Janelle said...

What a fun Show-N-Tell! I love the stockings and ornaments.

AbbyLane said...

loving those ornaments!!

my brother and i have stockings that someone made for us when we were born and i can't imagine christmas without it! also one man at my church gave me one santa claus every year for about 15 years so i have nice collection for my house one day!! :)
also can't do christmas without moms cinnamon rolls...she makes them every year :)

Alana said...

I love this post! How fun! I, too, love the stockings and ornaments especially. I'm a sucker for anything personalized. I think it is because growing up I could never find anything with my name on it ;-)

Thanks for sharing!

Sarah Markley said...

Renee, I loved seeing a little view into your Christmas house =).

We have the little people nativity (and also a plastic precious moments one the kids like to play with).

We've gotten behind on our Advent calendars...oops.

Just the normal things here at my house: advent wreath with candles each Sunday, fake tree with all the ornaments...I love Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Renee,
I am trying to get around to my Christmas posts---lots of things to post but short on time. Still plan on getting to the meme you've tagged me for too. :) We have LOTS of traditions. I like the idea of buying a book about Christmas each year! Now why didn't I think of that one? I am an avid reader and buy books like crazy. That just takes planning----and I like it!