Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Girls Night Out

But first, an update (would I be me, right now, if I weren't forever updating y'all with the details of my life?)

-We heard back from the doctor yesterday regarding Becca's blood tests. The good news is, she doesn't have any of the chronic illnesses they tested her for, and her levels look good. The not so good news is that they did find antibodies to wheat in her blood. The doctor says that this indicates an allergy.
--Quick history on Becca: when she turned one, we had her tested for food allergies (looooong story), and found out that she was allergic to soy, wheat, milk, eggs, and nuts. The soy was low enough that they wanted us to keep giving it to her...she wasn't gaining much weight, and soy milk has more calories and fat than rice milk. Then, at 18 months they had us do a wheat challenge on her. She didn't show any symptoms of an allergy, so they gave us the go ahead, and we introduced wheat back into her diet. My gut told me that wheat upset her tummy, but we were having such a hard time figuring out what to feed her that I jumped at the opportunity to reintroduce pretzels, cheerios, pasta, and bread into her diet.
--We have struggled to feed this little girl. So it is discouraging to find out that she may still be allergic to wheat, after all. But we will do whatever we can to make things as easy as possible for her. We are in the process of getting her in to an allergy clinic, and then plan on going to a nutritionist after that. We need some help, and some answers.

-As of today, we have ruled out the option of building a new house. I love new houses, but the thought of all the decisions that would have to be made is just too overwhelming. And we wouldn't be able to build our dream house, so we will just wait. We may go this weekend with our realtor and check out a few more existing houses. If we find one we want to buy, then we will see if they will accept a contingent offer. If they do, then we put an offer on it, and pray that the townhouse is rented soon.

Now for the fun part of my post today...

I went out last night!!

With other girls!! Without kids!!

And....I had a blast!!!

Those of you who have been reading since we moved to Michigan know that I have been struggling with feelings of loneliness lately. I have some wonderful friends that I talk to on the phone, and chit chat with on the computer, but I really miss having friends that I can hang out with. Talk girl stuff with, in person. (Not that y'all aren't a major blessing to me, because you are!)

The MOPS group through my church regularly plans get-togethers outside of our MOPS meetings. Last night, they had a movie night. It was the first event that I was able to attend, and I was really nervous about it. I'm pretty shy, and have a hard time warming up to people. It takes me a while to come out of my shell (see...there's a turtle reference again!). But I knew that it would be fun, and good for me to get out.

Boy, was it!!

Some of the girls saw 'Dan in Real Life' (I saw this on a date with my hubby in October...good movie!), and I saw 'Enchanted' with another mom who is brand new to our group. She and I had a great time...it was a cute, cheesy movie, and it was kind of a fun way to break the ice, I guess. Our movie got out before the other, so we had a while to hang out and get to know each other a little bit. Her name is Heather, and I think we'll be getting together again sometime soon. (She just moved to the area not too long ago, and is looking to plant some roots.)

After the movie, we headed over to Applebee's for their half price appetizers. I was a little leery...picturing us just sitting there and staring at each other, but I didn't need to worry. We got there at about 9:20, and I didn't leave until 11:45! We talked about anything and everything, and laughed loud enough to draw attention from the other people in the restaurant. We all just enjoyed being out with each other, and having a break from thinking about somebody else's needs all day. For an evening, it was just about having fun and being friends.

I left feeling like a woman again. Not just a mom, or a wife, but a woman. Sometimes I forget that I'm still me.

We're supposed to get together again next week. One of the girls is skilled in pampering and beautifying. She gives massages, facials, and waxes. They all get together once a month or so and take care of themselves while catching up on girl time. They invited me to join them next Wednesday night.

I didn't crawl into bed until 12:15, and had to get up early for MOPS today, but it was worth it. Walking into our meeting this morning, and hearing friendly new faces saying 'Hi Renee!' was medicine to my spirit.

Nothing like a little crazy girl time to put some fire back in my step!

15 comments:

Sittintall said...

I'm so happy that you had a great time with the other moms. It is so very important to get out and mingle with other women. I too, struggle with getting to know people (a little turtle myself, tend to just be a listener), but I know my self esteem goes way up after a night with the girls. Glad you had a great time.

Sittintall said...

I'm so happy that you had a great time with the other moms. It is so very important to get out and mingle with other women. I too, struggle with getting to know people (a little turtle myself, tend to just be a listener), but I know my self esteem goes way up after a night with the girls. Glad you had a great time.

BethAnne said...

I am praying for your daughter and her food allergies. Why is it that we never heard of food allergies when we were little? (Maybe I lived in a bubble). Seems that most kids are allergic to something these days (some alot more than others).
As a mom of young children who is in the process of building a house, let me just say: Buy one! You are making the right decision --- it is a nightmare! There are so many decisions that have to be made NOW. Trust me, you sanity is on the line when you build a house. We are finding that out the hard way!
I am so glad you got to go out with the girls. Funny how time away with adults can change your outlook completely, huh? I am also praying that you will make Godly friendships that will be a blessing to you for the rest of your life--good friends (Godly ones) are few and far between.

Denise said...

Renee, thanks for your encouraging post over at my blog. I had read your story, and loved how tangible God had/has been to you, and the zeal that comes from His life in you is evident in all your posts.
Your dream is so true of who God is, and I too have had to run to his wide open arms, and find life in Him, my Father.
We'll share his lap together when we get home :-)
Now there is a sweet thought!

And YEEHAW for girl time! It's so necessary and refreshing.
Funny that you were worried about a lack of conversation (at Applebees) with a bunch of women.
Can I come for massages and facials?

Alana said...

YAY!!! Good for you for putting yourself out there! I'm much like you and when I first moved here I put myself out there even when I didn't always feel like it and it paid off. I've made WONDERFUL friends. I'm excited for you! And so wishing I could join you all for pampering night!

Hope you figure out the allergy thing. That sounds like no fun.

Mari said...

I'm so happy that you had a great night. It sounds like you are making new friends and this is the first of many fun times! Good for you for "sticking you neck out"! I'll keep Becca on my prayer list.

Mari said...

Hi again - I just saw your question on my blog. My daughter worked in a garden center where they decorated trees and she learned to put the lights inside the tree. We lay them on the branches from the center out, working upward. We usually have about 1600 lights on our tree! It is really pretty when lit, but it does take time.

Earen said...

Renee, I'm so thankful you had a wonderful time with some girls & enjoyed your evening! They are blessed to have you into their group! You're a gem! I will be praying for your home & Becca. Love ya!

Kristen said...

Sorry to hear about Becca - I will be praying for her and for you! It will definitely be a change in mindset about snacks and foods.

Girls night sounds like a blast! I heard that Enchanted was cute. So refreshing and fun to get out with the girls. I am jealous :P

Oh, I just finished one of the new Karen Kinsbury books - Between Sundays. It was good, not a favorite but I liked it. I have her new one on hold at the library so I will have to make a trip there this week to get it!

Anonymous said...

That is JUST what the doctor ordered - for Mommy, at least! I know EXACTLY what you mean about remembering that you are a WOMAN. A man can make you feel like a woman sometimes, but so can your girlfriends... there's nothing like giggling until midnight and finding out that you are NOT crazy, after all! Just FEMALE! :)
I'm so happy that you had a good night out. I think I may need one of those soon, too...

Shelley said...

I'm glad Becca doesn't have anything really serious. We'll keep praying for her (and all of you) though, because I'm sure that it will still be difficult.

I'm with Bethanne, building with young kids is HARD. We did it, but I wish we would have just bought something instead. We have a big, beautiful house now, so big, in fact, that we don't even USE all of it. I know we will, someday, when the kids are bigger. But for now it just collects dust!

I'm so excited for you about your girls' night! The joy that good girl talk can bring you is truly amazing sometimes! I'm so glad for you! Mops is wonderful!

Sarah Markley said...

This is so awesome! I feel like I NEVER or rarely get to do anything like this. You are very fortunate.

Also, about Becca, I'm sorry that you are frustrated and there are no real answers. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Janelle said...

I am so proud of you for taking the step to go out with these new friends. MOPS is a wonderful ministry and really does a great job building relationships. It was a life line to me when I had my first baby. The friendships that I have formed will last a lifetime!

Hope the allergy situation gets some answers. That sounds hard.

Jenni S. said...

Renee we should totally talk!!! My husband and I moved to MI 6 years ago from NC and I had a *really* hard time making friends, finding a place where I belonged, etc. at first (I also tend to be shy with strangers). But God absolutely provides at just the right time!

Also, I have a little girl who struggles to gain weight AND one with allergies. I have *lots* of things we've tried concerning weight gain, so if you need help there, let me know.

You may want to try looking into calorie boosters that you can mix in with foods - try looking at Benecalorie through Walgreens.com. We mix it in with lots of Ruthie's foods and it's 330 calories in 1.5 oz of liquid! It also contains lots of vitamin C and zinc, since most people who struggle with weight gain also struggle with fighting off common cold/flu viruses. It's been a *life-saver* with Ruthie - she's been gaining weight and she has not had a cold since we put her on it.

There are other calorie boosters as well (a powdered version called Scandical), but Benecalorie has worked best for us. I'll refrain from posting the rest of this novel, but if you have any ???, email me.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Becca's allergies. I know this can be really challenging especially having siblings who don't suffer from food allergies. My nephew is severely allergic. My heart aches for you as a mom.

I haven't been by and I am excited to hear that you were able to get out and enjoy some time with real people! :) Not that I am not a real person when we get a chance to chat via messenger. :) I am glad that the Lord is bringing people in the flesh to befriend you-----I would NEVER have pegged you for being shy!

I have always enjoyed Girls Nite Out but now all my friends have moved away.......thank the Lord for friends online. :) Good catching up with you dear friend.