Tuesday, December 18, 2007

You Just Do

I have a vivid memory of something that was said to me shortly after Allie was born.

My MOPS table took turns bringing us dinner for a few weeks after her arrival. I very much appreciated their wonderful meals, but I was still new to parenting 2 little ones, and was trying to figure everything out.

We were living in our townhouse at the time, and there were 2 ways for these lovely ladies to put these yummy meals into my hands. They could 1) find a parking spot somewhere, walk up some sidewalks, and climb some steps to get to my front door, or 2) they could pull up to my garage, call me to let me know they were there, and I could come down and meet them (I had to go downstairs, and through the laundry room to meet them in our garage.)

I never asked the moms to choose option #1. Most of them came with children in their cars, and I didn't want them to have to get their kids out, and navigate them up the maze to our front door, all while balancing a meal for us.

So...these sweet moms pulled up to my garage. The problem was, I couldn't figure out what to do with my girls. The moms usually came while they were both awake (and in those early days, usually while I was nursing Allie). I couldn't bring them both down, because Becca still wasn't very good at going down stairs, and I would have had to carry them both, and then hold a meal as well. I couldn't leave Becca alone upstairs...she would have just gotten into things, and she was going through a particularly rebellious period at that time. So...I usually laid Allie in the pack n'play and carried Becca downstairs. This was most often met with loud wails of protest form my new little girl, but at least I was confident that she couldn't go anywhere.

This meant that I came downstairs frazzled and distracted. There was one mom in particular who just came across like she had it all together. She had 2 little girls, and went about her business without seeming frazzled. On the morning that she dropped off food, I asked her how she did it all. She tilted her head, looked at me for a moment, and said "I don't know...I guess you just do."

Three simple words that have reverberated throughout my life over the last 11 months. Simple words that carry much meaning for me.

There are so many days, especially lately, when I don't feel like I have the strength, or the clarity of mind to keep going. I don't feel like being cheerful with my girls. I don't feel like devoting all of my day to other people, and then spending the nights catching up on things that need to be done. But there are things that need to be done. Children that I am blessed enough to be able to love. So, even though I don't always want to, I just do.

Sometimes life can be overwhelming. Both in the big decisions...the choices that need to be made now, (for us right now, these often involve house stuff, or bills) and in the smaller but just as important choices (choosing to actually be with my girls during the day...choosing to give them my attention, and my time).

When I get overwhelmed, I tend to just withdraw, and not do anything. This, of course, just makes things worse.

It is at times like these that I remember those simple words. "You just do." And I get back up, and keep going. Without thinking about it too much, or imagining what can go wrong. I just do.

Lately, this has also involved a choice in my attitude. As Earen reminded me, we can choose our attitude. We can choose joy.

And in case you're wondering how you do this?

It's simple, really.

You just do.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

10 comments:

Denise said...

thanks.
i too want to withdraw and do nothing. when life gets overwhelming.
the hard part is choosing joy while moving forward.
i'd like to be a person who just does that- chooses joy in the everyday.

Shelley said...

Great post, Renee. Sometimes it is ALL we can do, to just do. But it works, and life moves on, and soon we find ourselves not only "just doing", but "doing with joy." I love the verse at the end!

Jenni S. said...

I, too, love the verse at the end - how appropriate for your post. I've given that response to many people who have asked how we've made it sanely through the last 4 years. I can't say that I've always done it well, but you do get through it with God's grace!

BTW, got your e-mail. I'll respond as soon as I recover from the weekend (family left this morning)!

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of Elisabeth Eliott saying, "just do the next thing." The ordinary duties of our lives are often saving graces. Otherwise we may just not ever get out of bed again. ;) There's a sanctifying aspect to "doing." We often think we need to be still and quiet, like a monk in a cloister, in order to be near to God. But isn't it true that it's more of a challenge to do what He has given us to do, cheerfully, with a willing spirit? And even harder still, be discerning enough to recognize what it is HE has given us to do. Where is the greater sacrifice? I can answer that one in a heartbeat.

I've actually been thinking about this a lot today as I've gone about my business, because many people during this season, particularly, are calling on me to be quiet, to be still, to pause and reflect and wonder. I find myself feeling guilty for NOT doing that every day, but when I think about it, when exactly am I supposed to do all of that? Should I leave my 3 children to fend for themselves while I go and meditate in my closet?

I understand the idea behind these suggestions, and I'm not AGAINST doing these things, of course. But there are many ways of worship, many kinds of sacrifice. When I can go about my duties, and still consider the One who has given me those duties, then I am blessed, and He is glorified. I feel convicted that THAT is what I need to work on, cultivating that attitude of living before the face of God, with all the busy-ness that it often entails. We all need quiet reflection in there, too, of course, and I'm working on that one, as well... but life will always be full of interruptions to MY agenda, thereby giving me a host of opportunities to say, "may it be to me according to Your word."

Merry Christmas, Renee. Thank you for this post today.

Jen

BethAnne said...

You are so right - we all do the best we can where we are at the time. Attitude is everything. Thanks for the reminder!

Kristen said...

I love that: you just do! You just choose the right attitude, choose the right frame of mind - it is all about making the choices - even when you don't feel like it. Thanks so much for this post. I needed those words today!

Mari said...

Renee - this is a great post! We do have a choice in our attitude and choosing joy is the right decision. Thanks for this reminder!

Alana said...

So, so true. Love these thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I was just thinking about the same very thing. However, I called my "you just do" a "habit". You just do and it becomes ingrained, almost natural. Like Earen said, I want to choose joy. I want to choose joy so much that it becomes "habit" and "you just do" "joy"

Earen said...

Renee, just look at your sweet heart for the Lord! I love reading your blogs. You are learning so much. Choosing joy I find is sometimes a moment by moment decision too...I think also there's a dying to self that is taking place constantly in my life. I love my family & children & can't imagine my life without them, but sometimes I find that I might want to do something that isn't in my children's best interest at the time. I'm dying to self and I think that also connects to what you're saying about just doing it. God has given us this life & these wonderful children & just like we want our kids to snap out of the whiny, complaining attitude...I sometimes find myself doing the same thing & God saying to me to snap out of it, deny yourself and choose joy. Thank you for reminding me of this today. I enjoyed this blog as always. I miss you!!