This morning, I had my first doctor's appointment for this pregnancy.
It's kind of strange, starting over.
After having two babies in Colorado with the same OB practice, I felt very comfortable with the doctors in the practice. I knew how things worked, and when my visits would be. I felt totally confident in the hospital I would be delivering at, and confident in the doctor who would be delivering my baby.
When we started talking about trying for another baby, I asked my MOPS friends for recommendations on a good OB, and a good hospital. It sparked quite a lively conversation, as there are two hospitals in the area that deliver babies, and both have devoted patients.
I received several high recommendations for an OB that has an office right down the road from where we're living now, so I wrote down the name, and visited them for the first time this morning.
This first visit was done at a desk, with a nurse, just filling out papers. There were no tests done today.
While the nurse was very friendly, I felt just a little sad. Although it's silly (I have had 3 positive pregnancy tests, I am a week and a half late, nauseous, and tired in a nonfunctional way), I still really like to hear them say "Yes, you are pregnant." It seemed a little strange to me that they just took me at my word. But, I guess, why wouldn't they?
My next visit will be at 12 weeks with a doctor. This is when they'll do a physical exam, and listen for the heartbeat for the first time. I need to go to a lab sometime before then, and do a fasting blood test. (They want me to fast so they can check my blood sugar, because my weight is so high.)
I'm happy that it is my 3rd pregnancy that is different. I am much more comfortable with pregnancy now, and much more calm. The thought of waiting 2 more months to hear the heartbeat doesn't bother me as much as it might have with the first baby. So, I'm happy.
Okay, I must apologize. Somewhere in between the start of this post, and this point, my brain has fallen asleep. I just can't think. While I'm tempted to just delete this post because the ending is so bad, I will keep it up, since I wanted to share about my appointment.
Note to self: Blog in the morning, before your brain quits for the day.
14 comments:
If you hadn't said so, I wouldn't have known your brain was asleep - it all made sense to me!
I have 3 kids too, so I know what you mean about the 3rd pregnancy. Still exciting, but in a more relaxed way.
It's funny that you should mention your appointment today. I just read this article about how, if you don't like your doctor, don't be afraid to fire him or her. I'm not saying that's what you should do, by any means.
On the other hand, if you want a doctor who offers more personal attention from the beginning of your professional relationship, you shouldn't be afraid to look around. Pregnancy can be complicated enough without having to worry if your doctor is someone you can trust.
Rest up mommy-to-be! And don't ever worry about eloquent endings. Honesty is so much more refreshing! :)
I laughed at the end of this post. I have seriously deleted posts that I wrote when I was pregnant because after I went back and read them, they made no sense whatsoever!
This one made total sense AND I'm so glad you shared it. I'm so excited for you and I can't wait to hear about your 12 week appt when you get to hear that precious heartbeat!
YAY for baby #3!
I had baby #3 in a new state with a new doctor and practice as well. It was hard because it was just very different here and I LOVED my dr back home. I do think it helped it was my third baby and I could just go with the flow.
Your pregnancy will go so fast with the little ones at home. Your next appointment will be here before you know it.
Get some rest :o)
Congratulations!!! It is so fun that I have started reading your blog now....it will be fun to "watch" you grow and hear all your fun pregnancy stories.
I'm glad you kept your post too. Although I could totally picture you (even though we've never met), as you faded away! Sweet dreams.
There is something about a doctor telling you "yes, you are pregnant". You are so right about that!
Take it easy, friend!
I have a deep attachment to my OB. There is something about the person that brings your new life into the world. I felt like I have practically stalked her for the last 7 years. I love her so much and would hate it if she wasn't the one to deliver this baby.
I hope you learn to love this new office and the new doctor. It is so important.
Love the baby update!
I totally get the brainlessness. I still have it, 17 months after the birth of baby #3!
Oh, don't I understand this! The brain just leaves & the exhaustion sets in. It is especially more exhausting when you have 2 others to chase after. I'm so excited for your new little one!
Kudos to you for stopping. There are times I just keep going, even though I'm dying of weariness. It's insane.
That third pregnancy is just different from the beginning, isn't it? Not as exciting, but just as important. Jack's birth felt like, "hey, how are ya" to me. But I still have some great memories of it, despite the sagging muscles and the extra-painful braxton-hicks contractions, or however you spell it, for WEEKS prior to delivery. Eee, gads. Not fun. But he was well worth it all!
Its not BAD you silly! I love hearing about this stuff. I will be praying for you but I just know things will be fine!
That's so cool you are pregnant!
Funny! I just wrote my post and here it is 1 o'clock in the morning! :)
Made sense to me.....
Does anything make sense when those pregnancy hormones are flowing?
Post a Comment