12 p.m.- We get the call to come in. We anxiously get ready to make our last baby-less trip.
March 17, 2005. 1 a.m.- We arrive at the hospital. The fire alarm is going off. We are told that there is nothing to be concerned about. After being checked in, however, we can't get to the maternity floor, as the elevators don't work. We decide to take the stairs up to the 3rd floor, but upon reaching the 3rd floor realize that the doors are locked (with good reason.) We go back to the main floor and wait for the elevators.
1:30 a.m.- They start the induction. I'm given a suppository that is meant to soften my cervix. The nurse tells me that they usually have to do this process more than once, and she tells me and my hubby to get some sleep, because it will most likely be a long time before anything happens.
2:00 a.m.- My hubby is sleeping on a curled up mattress pulled out of the couch in this peri-natal room. I however, cannot sleep, because my back really hurts. When the nurse comes in to check on me, I tell her how much pain I am in. She looks at me like I'm a little wimpy, and gives me a sleeping pill.
2:30-5:30 a.m.- My hubby is still dozing (on and off...he keeps waking up because the sheet pops off of the curled up mattress.) I am still wide awake, in tears because of the back pain I am experiencing. The sleeping pill didn't help.
5:30 a.m.- A new shift of nurses comes on, and they check my cervix to see if another suppository is needed. I tell them again about how much pain I've been in, and again, they seem to think I'm a wimp. After checking my cervix, they find that I am between 4 and 5 cm dilated.
6:00 a.m.- I am admitted to the labor room, hooked up to pitocin to speed things along, and given my epidural. My hopes of laboring without an epidural were given up because of the back labor I was experiencing. Once the epidural kicks in, I finally fall asleep.
7:45 a.m.- I feel really nauseous, and dizzy. My hubby goes to get me a cup in case I need it, and he is followed back into the room by 6 nurses. They make me get on my hands and knees, lay me down and turn my bed upside down so my head is towards the floor. They do all this very calmly, but I am wondering what is going on. They tell me that both mine and the baby's blood pressure dropped a lot. They give me some ephedrine, hooked me up to oxygen, and attach several sensors to the baby's head.
8:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.- I pretty much just sleep on and off. The epidural is wonderful, and I'm not even experiencing the heartburn that has robbed me of sleep for the last 5 months. I feel good. Just a few big contractions here and there.
2:30 p.m.- They check my cervix, and see the baby's head, ready to make it's entrance into the world. The doctor is called.
2:40 p.m.- 3:10 p.m.- I push a few times, but the doctor doesn't like the baby's blood pressure. He ends up vacuuming her out. They show me that she's a girl, then rush her out of the room because she's not turning pink.
4:00 p.m.- They wheel me to my recovery room, and swing me by the nursery so I can see my baby girl. She is under an oxygen tent, and she is crying. I just want to hold her.
5:45- They finally bring Becca in to see me. She is beautiful, and I am in awe.
Becca's entrance into this world pretty much sums up how life with her has been these last 3 years. Pretty quiet overall, but with enough drama to make life completely unpredictable.
As a little baby, Becca hardly ever napped for more than 20 minutes at a time, and took a long time to settle down at night. We would spend hours trying to get her to sleep.
She started crawling before she was 6 months old, and didn't actually sit until she was 7 months. She walked at 10 months, and hasn't stopped moving since.
Becca has a sweet, caring heart. She is a joy to be around, and it has been a lot of fun to watch her take good care of her dolls and her 'Elmo'. She is always changing diapers, giving bottles, feeding them in her booster seat, and putting them down for naps (complete with jammies, a story, and 'rock a bye baby'.)
Becca is a ham, and always has been. She never fails to make us laugh, and we are constantly amazed at the words that come out of her mouth.
She is full of fire, too. When she's unhappy, everybody knows it, and there is usually quite a bit of drama involved. When she's being good (which, thankfully, she usually is), she's really good. But if she feels like being bad, then watch out! We know that this will be a good quality in her when she is older.
In the last 3 years, Becca has been the one that has been 'breaking us in'. We are constantly trying to figure this parenting thing out, and she has had to just roll with the punches with us. She has adapted well, and we are incredibly thankful for the grace that she models to us day in and day out.
Thank you, Father, for this precious gift that you have blessed us with. Oh, how much you must love us, to lavish such sweetness and beauty on us. We are truly thankful, and we will do our best to raise a little woman who makes you smile.
We love you, Rebecca Ann!
Getting oxygen right after her birth
Sleepy girl
Happy 5 month old
Crawling just before 6 months
Becca's 1st Halloween
Becca's 1st Christmas
At the playground
Her first trip to Lake Michigan
Becca's 2nd Halloween
Her first haircut (she was 20 months)
Becca's 2nd Christmas
New hairdo


Swingin'
Sisters

Becca's 3rd Halloween
.jpg)
Pretty in pigtails
.jpg)
Becca's 3rd Christmas

She's a 3 year old princess!

14 comments:
Happy Birthday to your sweet Becca! I hope she had a wonderful day. What a beautiful little girl!
Happy Birthday Becca! You are a cutie and so loved by your family!
happy birthday becca!
whew! i am tired of just thinking about your labor and delivery.
what excitement she has brought you these 3 years.
and crawling at 6 months, walking at 10, yikes! she's got places to go.
What a great post! She's a beautiful girl! Happy Birthday Becca!
I really enjoyed reading that Renee. I just love that we have these blogs to document this stuff. Our kids are going to be blessed by these posts some day! Happy Birthday to Becca!
Beautiful birth story results in a beautiful girl!
Crawling at 5 mos? You must have been busy!!
Happy Birthday!
Happy birthday to Becca! What beautiful pictures. It flies by, doesn't it?
Happy Birthday Becca! Wow, what amazing detail you still remember...you're a great mom to her & I see the love & heart you have for your girls. It's beautiful! Love the pictures!!
Happy Birthday! How beautiful! She is adorable and looks like a pixie - so petite and feminine. =)
Happy Birthday Becca! You look simply maavelous! Renee, thank you for sharing your story. She looks like a precious little girl.
Happy Birthday to your precious Becca! :)
Happy Birthday, Becca! I loved the story and the pictures! Thanks for sharing them.
Happy Birthday, Becca! What a well written, coherent post....glad you are back and your brain is cooperating. :)
Beautiful pictures!
Happy Birthday sweet Becca --- a week late!
Post a Comment