Thursday, April 07, 2011

Sister-friends

Sister-friends. It has a nice ring to it, don't you think? Maybe if you are fortunate enough to have a sister who is also your friend, these words have a different meaning to you. For me, these words relate to certain friends in my life who, because of the depth of our friendship, are like sisters to me. In my world, a sister-friend is a friend who has weathered enough with me that our friendship isn't even a choice anymore. Not being friends, not being a part of each others' lives is not an option. Friends who I can call when I'm afraid I'm going to lose it with my kids. Friends who I can call when something incredibly embarrassing happened to me and I'm afraid to tell anybody else. Friends who I can call, not say a word, and they will just listen to me cry. I didn't know it at the time, of course, but God blessed me with a sister-friend when I was 7 years old. We met in 2nd grade, had a bumpy road through elementary, middle, high school, and even college (more sister days than friends days during some of that time), and we have now reached our sweet spot. She and I can go a month without talking and then just pick up where we left off. One of my joys today is that I was able to spend a couple of hours with this no nonsense, fun mommy of 4 boys. She lives in another state, but came back to town for the weekend and stopped at my house on the way. She unloaded her van of herself, her 4 boys, and 1 niece, and made herself at home in my home. Our kids played Wii together and laughed. She brought me a basket of flavors of k-cups that she loves and wants me to try so I can see if I love them too. She bounced my baby boy on her knees like only a mom of boys can do, and made him dance around the room with her. It touched my heart in ways I can't even tell you to see this sister-friend of mine, a friend who has endured so much with me and because of me, to be enjoying my children. I enjoyed hers. It was so sweet to see them playing together. Who would have thought? I met another sister-friend in high school. The three of us bonded because of our shared faith. We made memories that will bring us to tears to this day (happy and sad tears). She is the friend I can be myself the most with. She is so much like me, we know what each other is thinking without even saying a word. I am blessed! Last night I found out that she's coming to town this summer for a few weeks with her kids. I'm so excited! Time with her is always good for my soul, and our kids love playing together. There's even talk of the 3 of us getting together. I see lots of laughter and memory sharing in our future! I have other friendships too, that are special and meaningful to me. I have been blessed immeasurably with some wonderful Godly women that have walked this journey by my side. Some, I've known years. Some months. Some I don't talk to anymore, but that doesn't lessen the friendship that we shared at one time. Some have been through dark times with me. Some I see in person, and others I only know on the internet. All are a blessing. What a treasure friendship is!

2 comments:

Denise said...

yes, what a treasure sister friends are!

Janelle said...

I love sister friends both in real life and in blog life.

So thankful for you coming back into my life!