"You told them the number? Do other people actually put the number????"
I told my husband that I started doing 'Weight Loss Wednesdays' for accountability, and the above is his response when I told him that I posted my starting weight. He meant it innocently enough, but his comment was enough to make me nervous. Did I do something wrong? Did I put too much out there? Did I offend someone, or go somewhere I shouldn't have?
My answer, for myself, is "no". Yes, the number I started from is embarrassing. Yes, it might make someone uncomfortable. But one thing that I am learning on my journey of craving God and not food is that "I am not defined by the number on the scale." So why should it bother me what other people think about that number? It's not who I am.
I'm reading Lysa Terkeurst's 'Made to Crave' right now and it is changing me. God is working through my eating habits and thoughts about food and He is making me a new creation. If I'm honest with you I'll tell you that it doesn't always feel good...like the time I called my husband crying because I really wanted to go through McD's and get their chocolate chip cookies. Or when I missed small group on Monday night to stay home and cuddle a baby with an ear infection and was counting on hubby to bring home some dinner for me (they had roast...my mouth was watering for it all day), but neither he nor the person who cooked remembered and so I had to eat a couple of slices of canadian bacon instead. Or when we were at a friends' house and Becca says "We have Oreo cookies, but daddy keeps them in his car while he's at work so that mommy doesn't eat them all." (This is true by the way, and suggested by me, not my husband.)
The point is- for this week anyway, food did not control me. I didn't think about food all day (except maybe that roast), I didn't overeat and regret it later, and I practiced self-control. This is a huge victory for me! I should end this post right there and say that this last week was a success, because the rest doesn't matter so much. Regardless of what the scale said, I had a victorious week, with God's help. We even keep the Oreos in the pantry now and I am able to dole them out to the kids without eating them myself. (This is a BIG victory!)
But to be consistent...I also happened to lose 2.5 lbs. Thank you Lord!
2 comments:
yeah yeah yeah on your victories.... you are on your way my friend. celebrate all those little victories.
yeah on your weight loss - great work.
i posted my weight on my blog each month when i post about my weight loss/get back in shape journey. it was hard and nerve wracking to do it but it was also freeing to be honest and real. this is life and it is a journey. the one thing i am learning is that the process is as much about the spiritual/emotional aspect as the physical aspect.
so proud of you!!!
I agree totally with Kristen. This is real life. Stay true to yourself!
Thank you for sharing! I love your honesty.
Death to OREOS!!!!
Post a Comment