Saturday, April 09, 2011

Sunny Saturday

God is doing a new thing in me. God is doing a new thing in me! For too long I've been held captive by negative thinking (a friend likes to call it 'stinkin thinkin'). My mind is constantly caught in a vicious cycle of worry, doubt, anxiety, fear, and, if I'm honest, lies. But God is doing a new thing in me. He is setting me free! Now, as we speak, my heart feels lighter than it has in years. When those thoughts start, when I can feel that cycle begin, I remind myself of my verse for the year (for life, maybe). "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, -if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things....and the peace of God will be with you." Philippians 4:8-9 It's amazing to me, the idea of taking thoughts captive, but what a freeing thing to do! The power and freedom in Jesus is overwhelming to me. That said...I am enjoying my freedom today. This Saturday is a day pregnant with possibilities. Fun to be had. Memories to be made. People to serve. -My husband is at a men's breakfast at church. He's being challenged to be a better father, husband, and man of God. He's there because he desires to be, and I'm happy that he's there with other Christian men. -We're going to my MSU baseball game today! Their coach is in our small group and we've gotten to know him and his family well. It's a privilege to be able to go and cheer his team on. We're blessed too, because another family from our small group will be joining us. Fun! (AND...it's supposed to be 65-woo-hoo!) -I'm working tonight! My job is a blessing...I get paid for something I would volunteer to do. I am blessed to be able to be very involved in the children's ministry at our church. I get to go in tonight and be God's hands and feet to the families and children that come into our ministry. God's children are such a joy! -At home date night! One of the traditions that Andy I have developed is one I love. On Saturday nights after I get home from work, we make Short Stop's delicious date night fajita nachos.

Today I'm standing with my arms and eyes open to receive the blessings that God is giving me. And I'm fixing my mind on whatever is good...whatever is lovely...


Thank you for this Sunny Saturday!!

4 comments:

Denise said...

date night fajita nachos! o might have to crash your date night.


i could speak for hours and hours about over coming lies. the journey. the hard, necessary, FREEING journy.

may God magnify His mercy on you renee. bring you into abundant TRUTH, so that the truth is what becomes familiar/your way of thinking!

BLESSINGS to you sister-friend!

Emily Dykstra said...

Hi, Renee-

Something sounds different about you. I didn't know you that well before, but I knew enough to hear a difference in your online voice.

You sound purposeful and peaceful and joyful.

And, if I may, I think God is teaching many people (me included) about living in his freedom. I love hearing it your voice.

As an aside, I visited your site today and a curious little guy named "Zach" appeared under Allie's name. Can it be? :)

Blessings,

Emily Dykstra

Alana said...

That is awesome! I walked a similar journey, getting rid of stinkin' thinkin' and we completely underestimate the power of our thoughts. The verse you quoted is one I say to myself whenever I am struggling with negative thoughts. It is a wonderful thing!!

Renee said...

Thank you friends- your comments are so encouraging!

Emily- Yes, it's true...that little guy on my sidebar is my baby boy. He's a miracle, and I'll tell his story someday, but I want to do it right. :)