Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Fear and Fun

This has been a fun month for me. For my family.

We started out the month visiting with family in MI. We went to the beach, got together with family, went out for ice cream, had a date (saw 'Oceans Thirteen'), had parties, and relaxed. And had fun during our 23 hour road trip home. (I think I could recite 'Elmo goes to the Dr. in my sleep now).

Shortly after we got back to CO, my mom's cousin Vicki and her husband Bob came to visit. They're awesome. It was just fun to have them around. While they were here, my mom took them around a lot, but the girls and I got to go with them up to Beau Jo's pizza in Idaho Springs, and to Red Rocks. That was fun.

My husband and I took the girls to the Arapahoe County Fair. Becca won a Dora balloon, took 'Toddler Driving School', and then we took cover in the 4H exhibit building while it rained. We read about shotguns, horse insemination, and how to plant a garden while waiting for the rain to stop (definitely got more of an education than we bargained for there). After the rain, Becca rode the carousel, and we had funnel cake and watched the rodeo. We brought the girls back, put them to bed, then my hubby and I went back to watch fireworks. We each got a beer, rode the ferris wheel, and went through the fun houses. It was awesome.

My mom watched the girls this past weekend (for the first time!), and my husband and I had a date. We went to McCabe's for dinner, and had really good fish and chips. I had a yummy Pomegranite martini, and then we went to see 'Hairspray'. Which was WONDERFUL!! Neither of us really wanted to see it, but we were very pleasantly surprised. I tapped my leg pretty much the whole time because the music was so catchy, and we were both laughing out loud.

I've gotten together with some great friends, and had some good girl time. I even went to a class on Christian writing which was great because I got to get out of the house and pursue a passion of mine.

I also want to remember what our girls did this month. Allie started 'babbling'. She just talks all the time right now, saying 'ba, ba, ba, da, da, da,' and...my favorite 'ma, ma!' She also does this adorable scooting thing when she's on her back. She looks like a little fish. And Becca doesn't go a day without cracking me up. She calls a broom a 'sweep broom', and has lost some of her baby words. 'Eldo' is now 'Elmo', and 'guk' is now 'milk'. She talks out of the side of her mouth sometimes, and loves to 'do' baby Allie (hold). She's a wonderful big sister.

One scary thing happened this month, though. There's a little bit of humor attached, thankfully. We were having dinner Sunday night, and we were eating some watermelon. Becca let out a loud toot, and I said 'Who's tooting at the table'? Becca proudly said 'Grandma tooting!' Which prompted my mom and I to both turn our heads and crack up. I thought my mom was laughing, but then I heard her coughing. Her face turned all red, so I went over to her to see if I could help her. Then she closed her eyes, and food started coming out of her nose and mouth. She wasn't responding, so I picked up the phone to call 911, and my hubby tried to get her to come to. Thankfully she responded to my husband before I needed to call 911, but she had lost consciousness for a minute. She coughed up the food that was caught in her throat, and she seemed to be okay. She said that she lost consciousness, though. Scary!! Later she said that she didn't want to die because someone accused her of tooting. Becca would have had to have been in therapy for years if that was the case. (Although she probably would have claimed her 'toots' from then on!)

No comments: