Friday, January 11, 2008

Friday Free For All

Just in case you thought I could go more than a week without a random post....

I still have more to share about what God has been doing in my heart...it has been a very important couple of months, as far as my faith is concerned. However, I need to take a break and let loose some of the randomness in my head.

--We may have a renter for our townhouse! We called our property manager the other night, just to see how things were going. We were a little taken aback when he told us that he thinks there is someone moving in on Saturday (tomorrow). (He said the prospective tenant isn't signing the lease until tomorrow, so he wanted to wait until he knew for sure before he told us.) If everything works out, this tenant will be signing an 18 month lease. For those of you who have been following along in our moving journey, you know what a tremendous blessing this will be for us. We aren't getting too excited until the lease is signed, but we're hopeful that it will work out.

--This means that once we have a tenant and a signed lease, that we will be able to proceed with buying a house here in Michigan. As excited as we are to be closer to this goal, we want to continue to give this whole situation over to God. We want the house that He wants for us...not just a house we would pick for ourselves. There are a few consistent things that I have been praying for, regarding our future home.
---A home that our girls can grow up in, and make wonderful memories in.
---A home where our family can come and stay with us
---A home where the door is always open, and people not only feel free to come by whenever, but actually do come by whenever
---A home where we have good neighbors that we can build good relationships with
---A home where we will be light to our neighborhood

As tempting as it is to pray for the things I really want (a nice kitchen, a big yard...), we have decided that the above are the things that are most important to us. And we will only be led to the house where these will happen if we let God do the leading.

That said, there is a house that we are currently praying about. It is a home that I found online when we first started looking for a home, back in August. Back then it was out of our price range, so I oohed and awed, and then moved on. Now, however, it is a short sale, and the price has been dropped. It is now possibly in our price range.

It is a 4 bedroom home in a small town about 10 minutes out of the city we're living in now. We're excited about this...we love the feel of small towns, but yet we'll still be close enough to our 'big city' to be connected. The house is very quaint...it has a good sized kitchen with a big island with a breakfast bar. There are four good sized bedrooms, and a basement that is ready to be finished.

The only thing that could be a drawback is the yard. The house sits on a corner lot in a neighborhood that does not allow privacy fences. So the yard is very exposed...no privacy. There is also work to be done in the yard. Currently, there is a big concrete patio that takes up most of the yard (it's in a strange shape). There isn't an option for a deck, and there is a big ship in the back yard. Yep...you heard me right. There is a big play structure in the back yard...and it's shaped like a big ship.

On the other hand...this big ship looks like it would be a blast for our kids and their friends. And if our goal is hospitality and a home where people feel welcome all the time, then what better than an open yard, and a famous ship? (The house is known in the neighborhood as 'the house with the big boat'). If we're out in the yard, then maybe people would see us, and come join us?

These are the things we're pondering in our hearts today. And seeking the Lord regarding.

---Yesterday I signed Becca up for her first 'class'. Starting on the 28th, she is going to a tumbling class at a local rec center every Monday morning for the next 6 weeks. While I am excited for her, and the fun she will have, there is also a little sadness involved. This is the first class of many. The beginning of places to go, and things to do. The beginning of shuttling her around to her different activities. I know all of these things will be good for her...she will learn abilities that will build her confidence, and she will make friends. But it is the first step in letting go.

---Speaking of Becca, she has her first appointment with an allergist out here on February 1st. That will be when we will discuss the antibodies in her blood, and figure out where we go next.

---Along with the spiritual disciplines I have been implementing in my life comes physical disciplines as well. I haven't made a big deal out of it...I am just making choices that are more disciplined. (Discipline is one of the areas that I'm really focusing on right now.) So far, I have lost 3 lbs. (Yay!!) It feels good.

---Our baby turns one year old next week. I will post more on this next week, on her birthday.

Here is a picture of the 'boat' in the backyard of the house we're looking at (above). And a picture of the kitchen (below).

12 comments:

Sittintall said...

Wow, that kitchen looks great. I really hope the renter leases your house tomorrow, and that you will be free to purchase a home. I'll be praying for you, and God' guidance in your life.

PS Although I have never seen anything like that boat, it does look like fun for the kids. Have a great weekend!

Mari said...

What exciting news. The house looks really nice and the boat is cool. I hope the renter works out.

Kristen said...

Oh Renee - that is so exciting! I will be praying about the renter signing the lease and a house for your family.

Our old house had an open yard without a fence - and we loved it. We truly miss it now. We had a big wooden swing set and all the neighbor kids and parents congregated in our yard. It was wonderful and we really got to know our neighbors.

Yeah about losing 3 lbs! That is wonderful!

Have a great weekend!

Janelle said...

That boat looks really fun. I am envious of the flat yard. That is really rare here and I desperately want that!

I hope all works out with the doctor and the renter. Exciting times!!

Earen said...

Oh Renee, my boys would just die for that boat play structure!! And as weird as it would seem, the kids would love it! The kitchen is marvelous & so light & open. I would enjoy that. I will continue to pray for the Lord's wisdom & I hope the lease is official!

Alana said...

The house looks great! I think you are right, the girls will enjoy that big boat so much! You could call it "The Ark" ;-)

Hope all works out well with the townhouse!

BethAnne said...

As I was reading your post, I came across the ship part and I stopped because I thought I read it wrong --did she say a ship in the yard? I think it looks like a lot of fun - your kids have to love the "ship house". I pray that all will work out so that you guys will be in your own home (ship house or otherwise) very soon.

Short Stop said...

The house looks wonderful, Renee. And yes, I think the boat would be SO much fun for kids! I know Jack and Max would love it.

I will pray about all of these things for you! I love your heart about what you really want in a house...those indeed are wonderful things to desire, and God will surely bless you for that!!

Shelley said...

Renee, I hope that your renter followed through! I feel like I read that too late to pray for it, but I'll say a prayer for you anyway. Congrats on the 3 lbs, it sounds like you're on the right track. We have some friends that built a "Pirate ship" in their back yard. The kids love to play in it, as do some of the daddies!

Anonymous said...

Renee,
Things sound as though they are falling into place! I pray that the Lord will cause all the pieces to come together soon for you all. It has been exciting following your journey and watching Him work and your response of obedience. I love the kitchen---it looks spacious in the photo.
Will keep Becca in prayer over her allergies.
Grace to you friend!

Sarah Markley said...

I REALLY like the boat! I really do. My kids would think we lived at the park. really. I like it a lot. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

The boat looks awesome! It looks like maybe it might have come from a custom-built swingset catalog that we looked at. We talked to them and sketched out a plan, but it was $5000! So, when it came down to it, we didn't go that route.
So - you may have a bargain, there!

I also love the kitchen very much. It reminds me of Mrs. Darling's at Dishpan Dribble. Lots of potential there - and it looks very sunny and bright, which I love, too. Kitchens ought to be sunny and bright, don't you think?

Very exciting. Hope it all works out well.

Jen