Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Too casual?

Shortly after we moved back to Michigan and started going to our church, God started whispering to my heart.

"I am God. The Almighty. I Am that I Am. I am Majestic and Awesome. Powerful and Sovereign. I love you, and died for you. I Am your friend. But don't forget my Holiness. My Majesty."

That same weekend our worship pastor challenged us to not be too casual with God.

Too casual with God?

In this Seeker-Friendly world that we live in, so much emphasis is placed on God being our friend. Emphasis on how much He loves us, and how much He delights in us. On how accessible He is, and how we can talk to Him as a friend.

While these are all powerful truths, I am learning that there is more. And that focusing just on the Friendliness of God can lead us to miss the Power and Majesty that is also Him.

Our worship pastor challenged us to come to church on time. To clear our minds, and really focus on being with Him. To quit grumbling about having to go to church, and to realize that we are privileged to go to church. We have the freedom to meet our God at church. In public. To worship Him in the midst of His presence, amid other believers.

This is not something to be taken lightly.

Neither is He, I'm learning.

I have been thinking on this topic since that Sunday morning. Wondering how I can restore some of the awe and wonder that came with my early faith.

I just started my first Bible Study. It is 'A Woman's Heart God's Dwelling Place' by Beth Moore. Yesterday's readings struck a chord in me.

If I may, here are some of the thoughts that brought me to my knees. She was talking about how God provided manna for the Israelites in the desert. Not only was He present with them in a pillar of cloud, and a pillar of fire, but He also provided for their needs.

"Then the LORD said to Moses, 'I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions." Exodus 16:4 (emphasis mine)

"God often tests us through abundance and prosperity!"
"Often, our character is at greater risk in prosperity than in adversity. You see, somewhere along the way we accept Satan's lie that we had something to do with our provisions." (emphasis mine)

This paragraph really went straight to my soul.

"In the wilderness of sin God set a test before His children. In essence He responded to their grumblings like this: "I have shown you My presence again and again. I have intervened on your behalf with signs and wonders. I have healed your bitter water and have led you to the palms. I have also let you go hungry so that you would know that it is I who feeds you. Now I will put you through the hardest test of all: I will let you grow accustomed to My presence." I will feed you from My table daily and prove who you really are. Will you grow in awe, or will you grow cold?" (emphasis mine)

"Have you grown casual with God? Has he become an assumption to you?"

"When was the last time you fell on your face before Him and wept over the unfathomable fact that He has chosen to take up residence in your very being?"


She goes on to say...

"The Holy Spirit never runs dry of lighter fluid for a lifeless soul seeking revival. I have glimpsed enough of what Christ has saved me from that I plead never to get over Him."

These are the thoughts I'm pondering in my heart today. Jesus is my friend, and I thank Him everyday for his accessibility and love. But maybe I need to read some of the Old Testament, and remember what a Mighty God we serve.

9 comments:

Kristen said...

wiping the tears from my eyes - wow is that convicting! thanks for sharing what is on your heart so that i could be blessed by your words. i loved this post and it definitely touched my heart. i will be praying about this....

Mari said...

So true! I think that in our grandparents time, God was too feared and not enough of a friend. Now I think we have gone the other way. We need to keep a balance between the two side of Him. Thanks for this reminder.

Jenni S. said...

Don't you just love Beth Moore's insight. The Holy Spirit really has blessed her with a wonderfully rich understanding of Scripture and it's made so accessible to us! I'm doing the "Living Beyond Yourself" study through our church and it has changed my views of the Holy Spirit dramatically. I'm thankful that God has given her a heart for ministry!

Sarah Markley said...

I love the blue and green background - very pretty and calming. I like your ideas about not being too casual. Very good reminders.

Janelle said...

Renee,

Powerful post today. Thank you for sharing that. I do think I tend to see God as touchy-feely instead of Mighty and Powerful. I know He is my friend and father, but I need to fear Him to. It is a hard balance for me.

Great study! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Renee,
God is really refining you! It is exciting to witness what He is doing in your life.

Take His hand and walk closely with Him----soaking in all the truths He is teaching you!

He is worthy

BethAnne said...

I am with ya, sister! I think so many churches today place God on our level. God is our friend, but that does not mean we are anywhere near equal to Him - He is to be revered and I see so many churches preaching about God as though He is just 'one of us'.

Kristen said...

Very convicting!

Shelley said...

I've been thinking about doing a Beth Moore study. I know they're wonderful, and I have the feeling that it's probably exactly what I need. I've been stuck in a "Mommy Rut" for the last couple of years, and haven't made enoughh time for myself or my God. I love your thoughts, and want to thank you for sharing them. Sometimes it's hard to share what's truly on our hearts, and you did a great job!

And I love the new background! Beautiful!