Wednesday, January 02, 2008

It's Not About Me: Part One

Hospitality.

Hospitality is a spiritual gift. It is a talent. It is an honor.

For the last 7 years or so, I have had a strong desire to 'learn' the gift of hospitality. Now, I don't know that you can 'learn' gifts, but what if you were given a certain gift, but never had the guidance needed to cultivate said gift? We are not born knowing how to talk, or how to walk. And, if we never saw these in practice, would we ever learn them? We learn these basic skills by observing others. By using the abilities that we were born with, and learning by example.

Regardless of whether I was blessed with the gift of hospitality or not, it is a calling. As a Christian, and as a mother, I am called to serve. To open my heart and home, and show love to the world around me.

Even though I have had these desires for a long time, hospitality does not come naturally to me. By nature, I am a solitary person. I recharge by having alone time. I don't like to have too many plans, and I like time to myself. Being around people for long periods of time wears me down. While I love being around people I enjoy, I still need time by myself to rejuvenate. My husband is the same way.

This said, hospitality has been heavy on my heart lately.

For years, I have wanted to be a good hostess. I have spent hours scouring my home before company comes over. I have searched for impressive recipes, and stressed myself silly over making sure that everything was 'just right'. I wanted nothing more than to impress my company...to show them what a good hostess...what a good person I am.

I remember vividly a conversation I had with a friend of mine several years ago. My husband and I invited her and her boyfriend over for dinner. Like usual, I spent the entire day cleaning our home. I made cheesecake from scratch, along with homemade nachos, a casserole, and some kind of a side dish. They came, and made some comments about how clean our house was, and how good the food was. We had a good time, and I considered the evening successful.

Until they extended an invitation to us.

We went to her boyfriend's house a few weeks later for dinner, and had a great time. They had salads from a bag, pasta from a jar, and cheesecake from a box. And it was wonderful. We enjoyed dinner with them, and were happy to be there. Then my friend said "We were joking before you came over that we should have told you to show up in sweats, while we were sitting here all dressed to the 9's in a tux and dress. Then you'd know how we felt when we had dinner at your place."

Ouch.

I thought the comment was strange, and a little bit hurtful, but I didn't understand what she was saying, so I filed it away in my mind, and moved on.

4 years later....

We had my cousin, his wife, and their two children (3 and 1) over for dinner a few weeks ago. They didn't bring any booster seats, cups, or utensils for their kids. This meant that Becca spent dinner time trying to roam around, since she wasn't strapped in to her booster seat. I was, honestly, and I'm ashamed to admit it, annoyed.

We enjoyed our dinner, then had a nice time talking with them afterwards.

Then the kids bedtime came and went. And they were still here!!!

When they started talking about putting their little one down to bed at our house, my heartbeat started doing double time. I had thought that they were coming for dinner, then going home. I mean...that's what people do, right?????

After they packed up their stuff and headed home (at 9:00...because their little one wouldn't go to sleep), my husband and I closed the door and breathed a sigh of relief. They were gone, and we could go on with our night. I mean...who comes and stays for that long??

As I was cleaning up the dishes that night, I felt a punch delivered right to my gut. Followed by a whisper in my head. "THIS is hospitality. You should be more like them. You missed a perfect opportunity to practice this gift that you say you want, and instead you were just thinking about what time they were going to leave."

Ouch.

To back up, I had again spent the day cleaning the house. I didn't want to stress about dinner, so I threw a roast and some veggies in the slow cooker. Even doing this, I was still stressed when they showed up. Having company does that to me.

The next morning, when I was reading my Bible, I came across this:
"Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling." 1 Peter 4:9
Don't you just love it when God has you read a message that He means just for you? The commentary said this:
"See note on Romans 12:13"
"Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality." Romans 12:13
Here's the commentary:
"Christian hospitality differs from social entertaining. Entertaining focuses on the host-the home must be spotless; the food must be well prepared and abundant; the host must appear relaxed and good-natured. Hospitality, by contrast, focuses on the guests. Their needs-whether for a place to stay, nourishing food, a listening ear, or acceptance-are the primary concern. Hospitality can happen in a messy home. It can happen around a dinner table where the main dish is canned soup. It can even happen while the host and the guest are doing chores together. Don't hesitate to offer hospitality just because you are too tired, too busy, or not wealthy enough to entertain."

Whoa.

These words hit home in my heart in a big way. I learned that the way in which I have been going about hospitality is completely wrong.

It's not about me.

I may have impressed my friends years ago with my clean house and fancy food. But it made them feel inferior. It's not about me.

I asked for the gift of hospitality, and then complain the first chance I get to use it. It's not about me.

I'm not saying that I'm not going to try to make my home look nice when people come over. But I'm learning that people feel more comfortable in a home that looks lived in, than a home that looks too perfect to touch.

One of my husband's good friends is coming over for dinner tonight. He's bringing pizza, and that sounds perfect to me. I hope I can find ways to serve him and his daughter, and I'm hoping that they stay late. (And in case you're wondering...we're inviting my cousin and his family back for dinner soon. We told them they should stay as long as they want...and we sincerely hope that they do. They gave us a great gift...an eye opening introduction to what hospitality is really about. And it's not me.)

12 comments:

Kristen said...

I felt like I was reading a post I could have written. I enjoy having people over but won't do it spur of the moment - I want to be prepared - house clean, right food, enough food, etc... You are so right, those things really don't matter if we are practicing the true gift of hospitality.

A few months after we moved here, we had a couple from church invite us to lunch. They asked us after the service so it was a spur of the moment decision. We went to their house and the breakfast dishes were on the counter, the sink was piled high with dishes, etc... The wife (who is now a dear friend) was calm, gracious, generous with her time, etc.. I would have been a wreck! I loved that she could have us over and not care about her house. I wanted to be more like her. Her focus was on our family and making us feel comfortable and welcome. She was an example of true hospitality!

Thanks for this post today! I need to care less about those little things, really is anyone checking to see if the toilets are clean, the floor is spotless - I know I don't check at others houses. Focus on others - great goal for the year.

Oh about your poll -can I pick them all???

Mari said...

What a great post. I too wish I had the gift of hospitality, but I also have often equated it with a clean house and perfect meal. Thanks for the reminder!

Shelley said...

Renee, what a great reminder! I think hospitality, whether you have it as a gift or not, is a process. I love to have people over, I love to throw parties, I love to host events. However, after having children I realized that these things became much more of a Stress than a Joy. It's taken me years to lower my expectations of myself, and of my home and family, to get back to the point where I love to do these things. I've had to let a lot go, but in return I have gained So much. Great friends, wonderful memories, and special moments have abounded, and I love it! I've learned to sit and talk more, rather than clean up. I've learned to play with my friends kids while they're here, rather than worry that they're messing up my house. Of course I'm still a work in progress, as we all are! I'm so glad you've started this journey! You will be greatly rewarded!

Jenni S. said...

What a wonderful post! A great reminder, especially for me. Thanks for sharing your heart!

Earen said...

Yup, I can completely relate! I think that sometimes as woman we want the home to be in order & the cooking to taste remarkable because it's a reflection of us. But, what a great reminder that it's not about us & I loved what the comentator said about that verse! I too stress when I have people over, but now you've shown me a whole new perspective. Thank you friend!!

Anonymous said...

Renee,
What a great and deep post. Funny how God will give us a desire and give us opportunities to practice them,eh? Sorry-that was a little tongue in cheek.
One of my greatest mentors in the gift of hospitality was literally the biggest slob I have ever met. I still look back on all our times together fondly and admired the way she opened up her home to everyone at any time of day despite the way the house looked and the limited amount of finances. She also had 8 children at the time too.
I love seeing God at work in you. You know He is really growing you right now Renee! In more ways than just hospitality.

Sittintall said...

I think so many of us feel like we have to clean the house and impress our company with interesting cuisine. It is stressful, and not what hospitality is about. And I think I would certainly extend an invitation more frequently if it didn't involve the prestress. What a great post. Thanks.

Alana said...

Oh, I want this, too. I have come a long way, but I still struggle.

This year, my husband and I agreed to host a small group in our home once a week! I did it out of obedience, but with great trepidation that it would cause my family and I lots of undue stress (because of my attitude about the cleaning, etc.). I'm so glad I didn't let fear get in my way because it has been such a blessing!

I still like to have things a certain way when I host, but I TRY not to stress completely if it doesn't all go as planned!

Here's to developing the important gift, (or calling as it is for us)of hospitality!

BethAnne said...

Apparently you ( and I) arent the only ones who have this same problem. I spend so much time trying to make everything perfect that I take all the fun out of company. Thanks for reminding me of this today.

Anonymous said...

Our personalities sound similar. I, too, need alone time to refuel. I love social events, but they also exhaust me! Just yesterday I was cleaning the house, thinking, "did I even have anyone to the house over Christmas?" All that decorating, behind closed doors. Next year. (well, part of THAT problem was everyone was too busy to come!!)

Often MY problem is my own busy-ness. It's not usually convenient. But it's always fun. Thansk for the reminder and the inspiration to TRY!

Jen

Denise said...

How I relate to your post, and all the comments.
I love to be with people, love it! But I make myself (and everyone around me) crazy in the process.
But I have to be honest- I do not know how to not make it perfect. I have attempted to try let one thing go. If a friend is coming for the day, I will make my self leave unfolded laundry out. If guest are coming for dinner, I purposely leave something undone.
Aren't I a crazy person??
Maybe I need to do like Alana,and have people over weekly. Eventually it would become them becoming a part of our family, and the every day happenings, instead of my attempt to have it all together.
This IS a reminder to TRY.

Sarah Markley said...

Excellent post. Exquisitely written. Perfect. =)

I loved this so much, Renee. I love to have people over, and when Naomi was born, I had to give it up to the fact that there would be people here, AND my house would be messy. People would have to search thru my cupboards for food and they would have to pull a clean dish out of the dishwasher.

I must admit that I am a little better at housekeeping now that she isn't an infant anymore. We have people over several times a week, usually informally and my house is usually messy. But I love it and the kids love it.

However, I do have the grumbles when I feel like I need to impress. I agree with you, it is so not about me.

I loved this post. I think this is the longest comment I have ever written. =)