Thursday, April 10, 2008

100 Words or Less

My church has been focusing on evangelism recently. On knowing our stories, practicing our stories, and being ready to share our stories.


The thought is that we never know when we might meet someone who is hungry for our story. And when we do meet this person, will we know what to say? Will we flounder through our testimony, our story, or will we be ready to share ourselves and our journey?


Our words, our stories are so powerful. We don't really know the weight that they carry until it is time for them to be revealed. And I know that I don't hold up well under this revelation. I stumble, I stutter, I babble. (I am 100% a babbler.)


The challenge is to write our story down. In 100 words or less. This way it is short enough to be able to share quickly.


For some, this is not much of a problem. Like my husband, for example. He grew up in a Christian home, going to Sunday School every week and learning all the Bible stories. He had never heard the gospel though, until he was in high school. When he did hear the gospel, he went right back to his room and asked Jesus into his heart. He has always walked a 'good' path, and while he may have made some bad choices along the way, he has always lived a life that honors God. He has a powerful, yet wonderfully simple story.


I, on the other hand, have a very complicated and confusing story. In the past when I have been asked to give my testimony, my words are usually followed by silence, and then, after the silence becomes uncomfortable, some 'wow's.


All this said, I am up for the challenge. I want to condense my story into 100 words or less. We'll see how it goes...

I grew up alone and without faith. As an only child with a single parent, I was always looking for somewhere to fit in. I found this safe place in high school, at Campus Life, and became a Christian my freshman year. While I knew I had found the Truth, it took me a long time before I let this Truth rule my life.

When I was 25 I made the decision to consciously try to have my actions line up with my beliefs. I let Christ’s love become real to me, and now try to give Him authority over my life each day.
Okay...that was way harder than I thought it would be!! Now I can e-mail it to the church and someone can help me edit it.
I wonder what some of your stories would read like in 100 words or less?

8 comments:

Jenni S. said...

Only 100 words? It took me 5 posts to share my story! Although, I am also a babbler. :) I like the way your wrote your story because it's simple, but if someone wanted to ask more questions, they could. Someday I'd like to hear more details, if you're comfortable sharing them.

Kristen said...

Renee - you did fantastic!!! As I was reading, I kept thinking how would I put my story into only 100 words. I have been known to be a talker, so trying to simplify and give enough but not too much would be a challenge. I am so impressed - I agree with Jenni it leaves the door open if someone wants to know more. Good job :o)

Alana said...

I'm not sure I could do it in 100 words or less and I don't even have that much to tell.

Great job with yours, though!!

Mari said...

Are you doing Evangelism Explosion? Our church always has classes of that going and when I did it. I had to tell my story too. My story is a lot like your husbands except I was saved at a much younger age. Sometimes I feel my testimony is quite boring, but I have been reminded to remember how much Christ saved me from!

Lynn said...

I agree with Jenni, I would love to hear the long version sometime, but I think you did a great job on this one!

I was faced with this situation recently...and I babbled. I got the gospel out there, but it was not as pretty as I would have liked. But, God is good, and my husband and I are now meeting with our friend to go through Basic Christianity with her, and she is HUNGRY!

Sittintall said...

I know you said it was hard, but it looked so simple after reading it (I'm sure it wasn't though). If you I hadn't read "My Story" I might ask more questions too. But you did a great job. Maybe I'll write a testimony too. I'm afraid it would be very similar to your husband's though. Thank you.

Denise said...

100 words! wow,it would be hard, but i may give it a try.

the new look and name are terrific.

i hope you are well.

Short Stop said...

You've totally inspired me to try to do it. 100 words?

SO glad you shared yours. Thinking about you a lot!