Yesterday was one of those days that I just have to blog about, so that I can look back on it when I'm having a rough day, and laugh. It reminds me of a post that Jennifer did recently about her terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Although mine wasn't that bad...just kind of funny. (I can say this now that the day is over.)
6:00- I woke up feeling a little anxious. I had had to reschedule my post-op appointment 3 times, trying to find a time to work for my husband (so he could watch the girls). Finally, when he told me sometime between 11-2 would work best for him, and the dr's office told me they had something at 1:45, I took it, just happy to be done with it. It didn't hit me until later that this would mean no nap for my girls, which in our house is not a fun thing. Because I had rescheduled so many times, I just left the appointment as it was, and accepted the fact that my girls would not nap.
7:30-As my husband is getting ready to leave, I look around the house and say "We're due for a showing...we'll probably get a call today. But at least we get 24 hours notice (something our realtor told us she would do for us when we moved in here)." We both laughed, and said that it would be a crazy 24 hours, as our house was a total mess (remember this post about how we just had 4 kids under 3 1/2 in our house for 2 days?)
9:00-I put both of the girls in their rooms for quiet time, since they wouldn't get any later in the day. I put a roast and some veggies in the slow cooker so dinner wouldn't be an issue later, with overtired little ones.
9:15-Laundry is going, dinner is cooking, and the girls are quiet. I can do this!! Today won't be so bad, after all.
9:20-My phone rings. It's the realtor's office. Someone wants to do a 2nd showing between 3:30 and 4:30. They say they're sorry for the short notice, but it is a 2nd showing, so....
9:23-I hang up the phone and fight back tears. Allie is now crying, letting me know that a morning nap for her isn't very likely. I look around the house at all I have to do, and drop to my knees to ask for a little help from above. "Lord...I am going to need your strength in a big way today!"
9:30-12:00- I clean the house frantically. Allie (our usually happy baby) is incredibly fussy and doesn't want me to put her down. I do as much as I can while holding her, and try not to get too frustrated when I put her down, and she follows behind me and empties cabinets and drawers (while crying). I wonder what an anxiety attack feels like, as my chest is tight and I feel like I might lose my mind.
12-1:20- I feed the girls lunch and get things ready for the doctor's. I leave the girls in their highchairs as long as possible, so they don't get down and get things out.
1:45-2:30- I enjoy some quiet time in the doctor's office while my wonderful husband lets the girls run outside in the grass. The doctor tells me that everything looks good, and that we can try to get pregnant again in a couple of months, if we want.
2:30-We get the girls all settled in the van, with the hopes that they will sleep while I drive around. We figure there's no point in our going back home, as we'd only be able to be there for 1/2 an hour, and the house is all ready for the showing. We figure that the best option is for me to drive around, so that the girls might take a little bit of a nap.
2:45-3:30- I drive around. I think it might be a good time to see if I can find my own way to the house we're hoping to buy, and explore the areas around it. Becca doesn't sleep-she just keeps talking to me (which is fine...I enjoy the time talking to her, especially since the morning was so rushed). Allie sleeps for 1/2 an hour and wakes up cranky. Nothing I do soothes her.
3:30-4:00-I decide to drive back home. Allie is upset, and I think there might be a possibility that the people have already come and looked at the house.
4:00- I go into the house to see if there's a card left by the realtor, or any other signs that they've already come. I see none. As I get back into the van, Allie turns her screaming into a level I haven't heard before. I decide to go to Target, just to kill 20 minutes, and get the girls out of the van.
4:06-I turn into the Target parking lot and hear a lovely noise coming from Allie. She is throwing up.
4:07-I pull into a parking spot and fight back the tears that are trying to take me over. I pray for wisdom, and for peace. I decide to change Allie's clothes, and clean up the carseat as best I can. I also call our realtor and ask if the showing was from 3:30-4 (then I could go home!) or 3:30-4:30. She reaffirms my original thought, so I try to figure out how to spend the next 20 minutes. We end up just standing in the parking lot. Becca plays in the van, and I just hold Allie. We are all very tired and cranky.
4:30-I get the girls back into their carseats. And notice that Allie hasn't cried once since she got sick. This poor child had been crying all day (I just thought it was because she was picking up that I was so stressed).
4:40- We get home. I decide that the best thing to do is just bring them downstairs and put a movie on. I change their clothes, diapers, and all that good stuff, and get them settled with a snack and a video.
5:00- I see people walking around our yard. What?????
5:02-I go outside to find a realtor and a young couple sitting in the driveway. The realtor says "I'm sorry...we're running a little late." I tell them that they can come in, but that the house isn't in perfect order, and that I wouldn't take the girls out again. They agree, and come in to look around.
After they left, I just had to laugh. (It was better than the alternative.)
It was just one of those days. I'm very happy to say that today is off to a much better start.
7 comments:
Oh my goodness that is quite a day! Glad you could see a little humor in it... :) Hope today continues to improve from yesterday!
Oh, how awful!! I would have been terribly stressed too. I'm glad that you made it through, and hopefully are having a more relaxing day today. That certainly was a no good, terrible, awful day.
Oh my goodness - what a day what a day! I hope Allie is feeling better. The poor thing!
I am glad you could see the humor in your situation and that today is a better day!
Oh Renee! I can just picture you standing in the Target parking lot, holding your baby. You poor thing! I'm so glad today is better! My favorite part was when you hit your knees and prayed. I need to remember to do that more often when things get crazy.
Oh my WORD! You poor thing. That sounds just dreadful, really. I remember those days when my kids were about the same age as yours and we were showing our house. Ugh!
You call THAT a bad day? :)Ha.Ha.
Actually, that story reminds me of a time that Matthew threw up in his carseat in the car-----rather than clean it up, we pulled into a Walmart, and we just took his clothes off and bought him a new outfit and carseat right there!
Kuddos for you cleaning Allie up! (you know I don't do vomit)
I am glad that your day was off to a better start. Funny how we appreciate those smooth days after having those rough ones, eh?
Oh my word, Renee.
Oh, but I have been there...in situations very similar. The house we're currently renting is for sale and we're doing the whole "showings" thing. UGH, and UGH!
Glad you can laugh! You're a great Mommy to those girls...they will love this story later on!
Post a Comment