Monday, April 21, 2008

Love and Respect

This weekend my husband and I went to our first marriage conference. Love & Respect

We went because we've been married 5 1/2 years, and thought it might be a good thing for us. We went because it was at our church, and it was convenient. We went because my husband's sister and her husband were able to join us. We went because the speaker is the former pastor of our church, and every time we turned around, someone was telling us how we needed to go. If for nothing else, than to hear 'Pastor Emerson' speak.

So we went.

And we are so glad that we did. It was phenomenal. As in we think it is going to be a tremendous blessing in our marriage. As in we want to tell every married person we know that they should at least read the book and watch the videos that you can do in a small group setting (or at home with your spouse).

My husband was skeptical at first. He used to attend our church back when Dr. Eggerichs was the pastor, and he wanted to hear him speak, but he's never been big on marriage books, or marriage conferences. He is of the opinion that most marriage books have a lot to say about how a husband should love his wife, but not as much to say about how a wife should love her husband.

This was the exception.

On Friday night, Dr. Eggerichs started to talk about how a husband should love his wife. We laughed as he described me in several different situations. (Well, not me exactly, but situations that we have been in because of me). He then told the men what to do in these situations, to best show us their love. And I think he was right on.

On the way home, my husband and our brother in law were talking about how they were both interested to hear what he had to say about how a wife should love her husband.

So, on Saturday, we listened as Dr. Eggerichs and his wife, Sarah, told us women what our husbands need. Respect. And they gave us ideas on how to implement that. Things I had never even thought of. Like how, even though I need face to face time with my husband, talking, to feel connected with him, he needs shoulder to shoulder time with me, with no talking, to feel connected to me. Interesting, right?

As he spoke, my husband kept nudging me, letting me know that what Dr. Eggerichs was saying was right on. Finally, someone gets what my husband really needs!!

It's such a basic concept. Taken right from Ephesians. A woman needs to be loved by her husband, but a husband needs to be respected by his wife. So simple. Yet, so powerful.

He also talked about how we should be viewing our marriages as an act of ministry. He posed the question: "If you can't show love to your husband properly, how can you show your love to Christ properly?" He challenged us to view Jesus standing right behind our spouses when we speak to them. How would we treat our spouses if we really knew that Jesus was watching, and listening? Grace is given, yes, but are we really trying?

I believe it could change your marriages, girls! I believe it can change my marriage!

All in all, it was a wonderful weekend. The conference was wonderful, and the kids did great with their grandma & grandpa watching them. Although, the 4 kids (all under 3 1/2), the grandparents, and the aunt that came to help all pretty much passed out when the conference was over. It was a very tiring day and a half for them. Fun, but tiring.

11 comments:

Emily Dykstra said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing, Renee. I'll have to look them up!

Kristen said...

Thanks for sharing! We read the book Love and Respect two years ago in our Sunday School class. I think they have many good things to say - some are hard to hear but it is true. So insightful! I am glad you had a great time!

Kristen said...

Thanks for sharing! We read the book Love and Respect two years ago in our Sunday School class. I think they have many good things to say - some are hard to hear but it is true. So insightful! I am glad you had a great time!

Mari said...

I bet this was a great weekend. I actually read this book a couple of months ago and was also blown away by it. There are so many things that make such sense in it. Now I have to just do what he writes about!

Sittintall said...

Glad you had a good time. I would love to go to a conference like that! If anything, it evokes good conversation between you and your husband. Thanks for sharing.

Jenni S. said...

Sounds like a great conference. I have the book, but have not read it. Maybe I should take a look... :) Thanks for the info!

Lynn said...

We went to a marriage conference a few months ago, but it was not nearly as good as I was expecting. It was pretty fluffy and basic. THIS sounds like a GREAT conference though. I have heard good things about this book, but I haven't read it. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Good---I'm so glad you had a chance to go. I hope the Lord will bring the seeds that were planted into fruition into your marriage.

Way to go Grandma, Grandpa and Aunt!

Sarah Markley said...

Sounds like you had a much needed rest and a great time with your husband!

BethAnne said...

mom and dad time - kids play with the grandparents = win-win situation

sounds like a great conference....glad you guys had a great time

Alana said...

It sounds like a great conference. I know that God has been working on my heart the last couple of years regarding this subject. Respect is a basic need for men. I believe that.