I, like many, have always had dreams of being a writer.
The book cold tangerines celebrating the extraordinary nature of everyday life by Shauna Niequist reminds me that this is a passionate aspiration. To want to be a writer is to look for the beauty in everyday life, to look at life from a descriptive and romantic viewpoint and to want to share this beauty with others.
Shauna Niequist does a wonderful job of putting the beauty back into writing, for me. Her writing is real, and her stories are vulnerable. She bares her heart, and isn't afraid to share her thoughts with us, even if those thoughts might not be pretty little packages with perfect bows on top.
In her collection of stories about everyday life, Niequist challenges. She exposes life for what it is, and poses a challenge to her readers to see it as such. A collection of experiences waiting to be enjoyed...to be seized...to be celebrated.
While many of her stories touched me and challenged me, there is one that stands out in my memory. the red tree spoke right to my heart, and I remember thinking "Wow...this girl gets it!" She wrote about how busy life gets, how tied up in details and events we can get, and how, when we're busy looking at the details, and our to-do lists, we often fail to see the life behind the to-do lists. The stories behind the details. She writes about not noticing a beautiful red tree that sits across from her home. She didn't notice it because she was too busy spinning, while something possessing such beauty was right in front of her. I can relate to this analogy on a painful level.
Short Stop said that this book is her. And I would have to agree that it is me as well. I too am flawed, vulnerable, broken, but longing to look for the beauty, the celebration in everyday life. I want to be sensitized to the beauty around me. To the precious price of every moment of this life.
Shauna Niequist has earned a place on my 'must read' list, and I look forward to reading more of her honest writing. I will recommend this book, and I will re-read this book.
Thank you, Short Stop for hosting this challenge. Thank you Zondervan, for being so generous with this wonderful book. And thank you, Shauna Niequist, for baring your heart for us.
6 comments:
Great review! I loved the book too!
How are you coming on Anna? I am at a stand still but I must finish it. I like the book, but it just doesn't call to me "come read me"! I will get there!
How are you doing? I have been thinking about you and praying for you!
Totally agree, with everything. In many ways, that book was me too. Hope you are doing well, or as well as could be expected. I have been praying for you and your family.
Renee,
Thank you for your review! I love how you said her stories are vulnerable...I found that to be so very, very true as well.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. And, I'm praying for you!
Sounds like a great book. I'm not much of a reader, but maybe I should pick this one up!
Your thoughts on this book mirror mine. It was great.
I've been thinking and praying about you. Hope you are doing well in this up and down time you are going through.
Great review! Well written. The story about the red tree really struck a chord with me as well.
Post a Comment