Monday, November 05, 2007

Better Me Monday, & Other Thoughts

In case you haven't noticed, I haven't been very faithful in my 'Mini-Me Monday' postings. This is because I haven't been very faithful in doing anything about 'Mini-Me-Monday'. This is because I haven't been taking care of myself, of God's temple, like I should.

I have decided, for myself, that I will start this journey again. From the beginning. Clean slate. Fresh start.

But it is so much more than losing weight, for me. It is about treating myself better. Taking care of myself. Respecting myself.

My basic goal is to be disciplined. To exercise discipline in every area of my life. To exercise the atrophied muscle called self-control. To really seek to honor God with my life, my actions, my body, my thoughts.

So...this is what my individual goals are:
-Spend time reading my Bible everyday.

-Set aside some quiet time with God every day. (Even if it's just a few minutes, or if it's while I'm doing housework.)

-Keep track of everything I put into my mouth. I want to think about everything that I consume, and ask myself if it's good for me. Will the food I eat, and the drinks I drink help my body? Will they help me to be healthy, and feel good? Or will they make me feel guilty?

-Think good thoughts. Take every thought captive, and work on giving things to God. Not worrying.

-Treat my family well. To enjoy my kids more, and to really 'be' with them. To love on my husband and affirm him even when I feel like I have nothing left to give.

-Serve my family. Provide some sort of dinner for them every night, clean clothes for them to wear, and a somewhat clean house for them to live in.

-To spend some time every day working on a friendship. Even if it's a 5 minute e-mail, or IM'ing. Or calling somebody at night, just to check in.

-To spend time praying for my friends, my family, our country.

-To create a budget, and live within this budget.

-To find some way to fit exercise into my daily life. Whether it be getting up early and jogging, or doing an exercise video, dancing with my kids, or all of the above. I need to move!

This is just a starter list. (I will be adding to it, along the way.) Even so, it is daunting.

I'm not expecting to perfect all of these things at once. I know that it will take time. Changing ourselves from the inside out is usually painful, and slow going. But it needs to be done. I have let myself go. I have let myself get lost in the chaos of the day to day, and have not been caring about myself. I have not been living my life in a way that glorifies God.

So, I will start this journey today. One day at a time. One step at a time. Starting fresh over and over again, if I have to.

Other thoughts....

-If you don't see me commenting on your blogs as much, please know that I'm still around, and still thinking of and praying for you. I'm just trying to focus on my 'to-do' lists more, and those lists are exceptionally long this week. My brain is already a little bit fried. But I'm still here!

-We're still trying to find a place to live for now. We are making some phone calls today, and hoping that we find something that will work out.

-We have decided to at least seriously look into renting out our townhouse. I will also be making some phone calls today to get some info on this.

-I didn't get around to posting a picture of my girls in their Halloween costumes. I will leave you with this:






5 comments:

Earen said...

Good for you Renee! I'm proud of you & I know the Lord will honor you for most of all putting Him first. Believe me, I know how hard it is to get on track with eating & health, but you can do it! Love you friend!

Alana said...

Love the costumes! I could just eat them up!

Which brings me to the other issue you were blogging about ;-)

I'm with you in trying to make better choices with eating and excercise. We'll see how it goes.

I'm proud of you for setting such great goals! Sometimes it helps to just put those words.

Sarah Markley said...

Jo jo and piglet. Too cute! I love it. Great job on the lists, Renee. I totally agree that they all are related. When I do well in one area, it all follows suit! =)

BethAnne said...

I am loving JoJo and Piglet! I need to take over your list of life changes and apply them in my own life. Thanks for giving me a wake up call this morning!

Sittintall said...

That is great that you are thinking of taking care of yourself better. I started reading a book about taking care of children, which said basically taking care of yourself first makes you a better parent. It's important to do. Just make sure you don't put too much on your to-do list, as to get overwhelmed. I know plenty of times, I set New Year's goals (like 5 of them) only to have all of them fail. It's the baby steps that work (of course I have to take my own advice too). Good luck.