Thursday, November 08, 2007

Holiday Dress??

Okay ladies...this stay at home mommy needs some help!!

I don't know how it's happened, but I have managed to get to this point in my life without having to know what Holiday Dress means. None of the places that I have worked had fancy Christmas parties, and neither have the places that my husband has worked. (Youth Ministry, Construction Retail, and Medical Claims Processing just aren't formal kinds of jobs, I guess?)

This year, we are invited to his office Christmas party. We will be having hors d'oeveres and desserts, and then going to a Christmas show. The invitation says "Attire: Holiday Dress"

So...does that mean black pants and a sparkly sweater? Nice sweater and skirt? Nice dress? Or a fancy dress?

Silliness, I know. But that's me.




P.S. You girls have been wonderful with all of your advice! Thank you so much for taking the time to help this fashion confused mama figure out what to wear!! I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one who isn't up on Christmas party attire lingo. Thank you!!!

13 comments:

Kristen said...

Holiday dress - seems a little vague to me. I would say maybe the black pants and sparkly sweater. Sorry I can't be more helpful - I haven't been in a situation where holiday dress was required - I taught and my husband is a vet, not very dressy/formal occupations!

Sarah Markley said...

When you say "holiday dress" all I can think of is a Christmas tree.

No, really: I would wear a nice dress, not too fancy but nicer than church. Maybe black or red or something like that. I look for any excuse to dress up b/c my normal wardrobe consists of jeans and flip flops on a good day and workout clothes on a hurried one. =)

Have fun at your holiday party!

Anonymous said...

Funny---I don't know either. I would say go with a classic black dress, you can never go wrong with that and get a lot of use with it. Maybe you can dress it up with a nice holiday pin or something. It'll be interesting to hear what others say it is. :) From one stay at home mom to another!!

BethAnne said...

I am thinking you cannot go wrong with the black pants, heels, and a sparkly sweater - I think you wouldnt be under or over dressed that way

Earen said...

Ya, I agree with Sarah. I would say it would be a bit more on the fancier side especially since you're going to a show. I wouldn't say it's formal, but nicer than maybe pants. Maybe your husband could ask someone he works with what that means?

Sounds fun though! I'd love to go to a fancier party. We used to have those when I worked at Promise Keepers, but since my husband is a teacher, they just get together at homes or a club house.

Have a great time & enjoy!

Shelley said...

I have NO advice on this subject. Ellie asked me the other day if I would wear a skirt like her that day to church. I was shocked when I realized that apparantly I no longer OWN any skirts! (at least none that fit right now!) Oh My, I think I may need to get out more! And about your comment on my last post, the 2 1/2 age was when the really hard part started for us. Hang in there, you WILL make it! And as for baby #3, ours was a Surprise *grin* baby! Honestly, I thought it would be another girl, and I was fine with that, because I knew how to DO girls. But again, Suprise! It's been a ton of fun having a boy though, and I'm so glad we have him!

Short Stop said...

Holiday dress? I'm with you...what on earth does that mean? I just have visions of a red sweater with a big sequined Christmas tree on it...but that can't possibly be it! :)

I'm going to say a little black dress would be perfect. You'll feel comfortable no matter what anyone else is wearing!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I found ya through Shelley's blog.

Do you read Bigmama's blog? She showed excellent pictures today of what I would call 'Holiday Dress'.
http:/bigmama1.com

hope that helps....good luck!

Rochelle said...

Lol... I have no idea. My gut reaction was something red?? LOL!

I'm Tara. said...

If it were me -- I'd be tempted to ask another wife what that means. Do you know any of the women or wives that work there?

If not -- go fancy. :) Why not??

Janelle said...

Looks like you have some great advice!

I would say the smile on your face spreads the most joy.

Just have a great time!

Alana said...

Little black dress would be my vote. I would also take Tara's advice and ask what another wife is wearing.

We went to a Trustee's dinner at the college the other day and my husband went so far as to take a picture of a one of his coworkers in what she was wearing and send it to me. Is that a hoot or what?

Mari said...

Hi Renee - I thought I had commented on this post already, but I must have done something wrong, cause it's not there! I would also try to ask someone else who is going what they are wearing. If you don't know anyone to ask, I would go with black pants and sparkly sweater because I'm not a dress person. If you like to dress up, a black dress always works.
PS - thanks for your comment on my shopping post. Maybe we need to have a michigan bloggers night for shopping, laughing and staying up all night!