Friday, November 02, 2007

Not Home Yet

The other night, my husband and I were exhausted after a long day of dealing with sickness, and two little ones. We sat down on Amy's couch, in Amy's living room and talked about how long it has been since we've really felt at home. I'm talking about putting your feet up, leaving the house messy, nestling in to your favorite couch, home.

We moved out of our townhouse on June 19. That was 4 1/2 months ago. It has been 4 1/2 months since we have felt at home.

In our current situation, we are afraid to mess things up. Amy has her house on the market, so we need to make sure that it can be ready for a showing at any time. We are also always conscious of the fact that it is not our house, and we need to be extra careful about taking care of her home, and her things. It is hard to relax.

Being in this position has caused me to think about heaven a lot lately.

As Christians, are we ever supposed to feel at home here on earth?

I think we are supposed to enjoy our lives for the blessings that they are. I think we are supposed to get as much joy out of each day as we can. But I don't think we are supposed to settle in. Get comfortable. Quit wanting for more... More of God.

I think a little bit of restlessness is good, in this case.

I know I have a tendency to get comfortable. To get comfortable in my sin, in my life, in my world. I remember when I first became a Christian, and my dad would talk about Jesus coming back. My first thoughts were usually along the lines of "I hope he doesn't come back before I get married, or have kids."

My view has always been very limited. Biased from years of living in the world. From years of being immersed in the world.

In Philippians (the book I'm reading over and over right now), Paul says
"For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our bodies so that they will be like his glorious body." (chapter 3, verses 18-21)

As believers, I think we are supposed to always keep sight of the fact that we belong to God. That this world is not all there is. (Thank goodness!) That our home is someplace even better than the best we can imagine.

When we get home, we will be more than comfortable. We will be elated. We won't be able to stop singing. We will be with the One who loves us and knows us better than anyone. And all else will pale in comparison. This world, even with the good things that we experience in it, is just the beginning.

I imagine it's like sitting on the stoop outside of a Starbucks, happily sipping on some instant coffee from the local gas station. You like the coffee...it's good, but it is only good to you because you have not tasted Starbucks yet. Once you do...you'll never be the same. And you will wonder why you were so content with the instant coffee.

So, for now, I am happy to feel restless. For it reminds me that I am not at home.

7 comments:

Sarah Markley said...

I am so sorry you aren't at home. I hate that. I know that God has plans for you and it will happen in His will! Keep going (you have great perspective!)

I'm Tara. said...

You are such a cool woman, Renee. Just so dang COOL!!! I love this post and love that it shows the core and true center of you -- Christ and His love. I am so blessed to know you and know that you will get that HOME feeling soon -- and when you do -- girl, will it ever feel GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!! ps - emailed you something so check for that.

xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

What an inspiring post!!!!
Home......me too. I wanna go home---even if it's just my physical home for now. I wanna go home.

Alana said...

Great parallel. We do get too comfortable in this earthly home.

I do hope for you that you can get comfortable in a home of your own soon, though!

Earen said...

I know this has all been a long journey for you, but I marvel at all the Lord is showing you guys! That He loves us that much to minister to our hearts when times are tough! I sometimes too long for Home. What a great post. I hope you feel at home on this earth here soon...but maybe you're experiencing what God desires us to desire for Heaven! Love you friend!

Sittintall said...

What a great analogy. And although you are right, none of us should get too comfortable, I hope that you have a home soon to call your own, so you can have a taste of comfort again. Looks like you have your eyes set on the true goal. Hang in there.

BethAnne said...

We are all too comfortable here on earth. I am praying you will find a home very soon!