Monday, November 26, 2007

I Am a....Turtle

For as long as I can remember, I have liked turtles. I collect them, actually.

In recent months, I have compared myself to a turtle when talking to my husband.

And now it's official.

I recently joined
Facebook...mostly due to prodding by my best friends from high school. It really is a fun site, and I have had a good time getting in touch with people whom I haven't spoken to in a long time.

Facebook has many different applications that you can add to your page. One of these applications is a 'What Animal Am I' quiz. My 2 best friends are tigers. And me? Yep...you guessed it. I'm a turtle. Here is the description that is now posted on my Facebook page.

"You are a turtle. You are slow to react to things making you cool and calm. On bad days, you feel like you want to crawl into a shell. Friends can rely on you to be strong...when you're not in your shell. "

I'm not so sure about the 'cool and calm' part. I wish I was that way, but I don't think those are the most fitting descriptive words for me. The rest of the description is right on target.

I don't know if it's because of my childhood, or if it's because I just have poor coping skills. Maybe a little of both. Whatever the reason, I am a turtle.

I plod along, and for the most part, handle the bumps and bruises along the way. But somehow I manage to take just a little bit of the stress from each of those bumps and bruises, and store it up. Eventually, the stress I've been storing up becomes too much, and I retreat fully into my shell.

When I'm in my shell, it is a struggle just to get through the day. Even the little things can throw me over the edge. I am very hard to reach, and am, for the most part, unavailable.

Somewhere, in the midst of the packing, and moving, and Thanksgiving preparations, and Becca's rough month, I have disappeared into my shell.

I will 'come out' again soon. The support from so many of you is encouraging, and your prayers are much appreciated. I am focusing on the many blessings in my life, and a God who wants to be my Strength. He will help me refocus and keep going.

Happy belated Thanksgiving, and I'll be back soon!!

10 comments:

Short Stop said...

Renee...I am finally catching up from being away and taking a long bloggy break, but I want you to know that I'm thinking of you and praying for you. I know you have been through a lot these last few months...but God is faithful and I know He is working! Hang in there, my friend!

BTW, I LOVE facebook. I joined a few weeks ago and have had SO much fun catching up with old friends. :)

Alana said...

Oh Renee. I understand. I'm not sure if I'm an official turtle, but I definitely retreat into my shell at times and I definitely have poor coping skills at times.

Praying for you!

Mari said...

I have turtle moments too - I may have to take that quiz too! Hope Becca is feeling better!

Kristen said...

Welcome Back! You have been on my heart lately, wondering how the move has gone, etc.. Praying for you!

I am TOTALLY a turtle when it comes to times of stress or struggles, I crawl into a shell and don't come out until I am ready or somebody yanks me out of it :o).

BethAnne said...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a turtle! Moving is rough and I am praying for you!

Shelley said...

Again, I feel a kindred spirit in you. I am exactly what you described...even down to the "I'm not so sure of the cool and calm part". I have recently realized this about myself, well, I suppose it's been since our 3rd baby was born a little over a year ago. I find that retreating is what I need, for awhile. It helps me calm myself down. Then I start to feel the need for my friends and family again...and they always welcome me back!

So take your time...we'll still be here!

Sarah Markley said...

So glad you are doing well. I hope your move went well and I will be checking back soon! I've missed reading so many blogs since I was gone and now I am back too. I hope Becca is doing better as well.

Anonymous said...

It's okay to sometimes hide in our shells. It's when we stay in there that it becomes a problem. I hope you know I am praying for you and your friend. Love you dear friend.

I'm Tara. said...

*big, giant, bear hugs*
I love you, my friend. I miss you so much and will be here for YOU!!!

Janelle said...

I have turtle moments, too. I will be fine plodding along until I just can't take the stress of it anymore. Then I crawl in my shell and hibernate. I need that time at home without a schedule to rejuvinate me.

You are NOT alone. I think turtles are cute!