WARNING: Long, rambling post!
I started counting my 'Journey in the Desert' days when we put our townhouse up for sale. I knew that the journey we were setting out on would be a wild one, and I wanted to keep track. I'm not sure exactly when I thought this journey would end. I think it will feel over when we get settled into our home here in Michigan. Then the first portion of the journey, at least, will be over.
Anyway...I have a few thoughts today. (No, really!)
My husband and I made our decision last night about where we're going to live next. We prayed about it, and decided that we would move into an apartment that is close to his work. He walked through a model at this particular complex, and thought that it would be a nice place for us to live. There would be some drawbacks, sure, but we are only planning on being there for a few months. (Until we get a tenant for our townhouse, and are able to buy a home of our own out here.) We debated about what we would do for storage, if the noise from our neighbors would bother the girls...if I could handle living in a part of town that I am absolutely not familiar with, and would have to drive a ways to get to a grocery store. But all in all, we thought we made the right decision.
My husband went to the complex today to drop off our application, and they showed him the unit that would actually be ours. It faces a different direction than they had originally told him, which means that we won't be able to continue our contract with DirectTV (we suspended our service). This isn't such a big deal, (although it could be pricey for us...our suspension is running out) but he also told me that the door to our apartment is on the opposite side from the parking lot. So to get to the car, we would have to go out our front door and walk all the way around the building, to the parking lot. Now, if it were just my husband and I, we wouldn't be too bothered by this. But we have a 9 1/2 month old who can't walk, and a 2 1/2 year old who chooses not to walk quite often. It also gets bitterly cold here in Michigan, and those walks around the building wouldn't be much fun. My husband also said that the apartment he walked through today wasn't very much like the model that he saw the other day. He thought it had a completely different feel.
Another option we have, that we decided against last night, is renting a house. Our realtor told us about a really nice 3/4 bedroom house that is for rent. We've been talking with the owners, and they have lowered the price for us, and they have agreed to let us go month to month. (So that we will have the freedom to move out when we buy a house). My husband also went and looked at this house yesterday, and he says that it's really nice, as are the owners. It is in a very nice neighborhood, and is a big, beautiful house. The only drawbacks are that it is on the market, so we will have to be ready to show the house at anytime, and there isn't a washer and dryer in the house.
So we would have to either buy a washer & dryer, or rent them. On one hand, it seems like a lot of hassle just to live in a nice house, but on the other hand...we might need to buy a washer and dryer anyway...and it would be one less thing to deal with later. And...our realtor is the listing agent for the house, so she could set up some good terms for us. (Like 24 hours notice for showings, or at least 8.)
This house seems like it would be a dream come true, for Christmas. It's big, has a fireplace, and has plenty of room for family to stay. There is also plenty of room for the girls to play. There is a whirlpool tub off of the master bedroom, and a nice kitchen. It would be about the same amount of driving time for my husband as the house we're living in now. And it's really close to a big mall out here. I'm thinking about getting a part time job for the holidays, so we would be close to my job, if it happens.
We just don't know if we're being too indulgent with this house. We would be getting it for less than the apartments we've been looking at, but the utilities would be more money. And there is a place that we could live for free. The old office of the company my husband works for is available. It IS an old house, (built in 1908) but it's not very practical for kids. There isn't a bathtub, or a laundry hookup, and there is office furniture all over. Also, the stairs are really steep and I can't even fit my foot on them. There would also be a lot of empty rooms, which kind of gives me the creeps. It's a little too big, and a little too old for me to feel comfortable there. (I'm weird, I know, but old houses kind of give me the creeps....especially when there are a lot of doors to different weird rooms. One of the doors in the basement doesn't lead anywhere, but has a deadbolt on it. What????)
So for today, we're back to where we were last night. Trying to decide where to go from here. It would be nice to move into a house, and I think it might be good for the girls to have as little disturbance as possible. In this house, they would be able to roam around as they wish, and have a 'normal' Christmas.
But are we being too indulgent?
These are the thoughts that make my head spin.
The other option for us is an apartment complex right down the street from where we're living right now. It is more money than the house, though. And we would have to rent a storage facility.
Anyway...
Our property manager might be showing our townhouse to his possible renter today. Hopefully we'll hear something encouraging soon! If we rented our townhouse out this quickly, it would be a miracle. Once we can show that we have one month's rent, then we will be eligible to buy a house out here. Yippee!!
If you're still with me, please pray for our family as we go through more change. Becca has been having a very rough time lately, and another move will be hard on her, I think. Please pray for comfort for her, and healing. She still has a fever, and we still can't get her to eat more than a handful of food a day. We're praying that the antibiotics help her feel better soon, so that she feels like eating and drinking again. She's such a tiny girl anyway...she doesn't have any weight to lose!
Overall, I am happy that we're in Michigan. I love this state, and it is wonderful to be closer to family. I am still confident that we made the right decision...I'm just anxious to find a more permanent place to live!
7 comments:
Hi Renee - thanks for visiting my blog. I see we have lots of blogs in common! I also live in Michigan (near Grand Rapids). Sorry to hear that your daughter is sick - it's so hard when they are young and can't really explain how they feel. I'll pray about her health and your housing decision.
WOW! I hope that Becca starts to feel better. It is so hard to see your little ones sick. I am praying for her health and your housing decision. I don't think you are too indulgent with the house. It sounds like it is a great option for your family.
The book Summer comes after Sunrise - so good! She has two new books coming out this fall. I have read the Nicholas Sparks book Suzanne's Diary - that is a tear jerker too!
Hmm, you've got a tough decision, but I know God will lead you and your family to the right home for you. I do understand how you feel, though. We have had several times in our married life where we were in "limbo" as I like to call it and it is no fun. It is a faith builder, though ;-)
hi! :)
of course it's ok that you visit!! (i hope you'll come back!) i am adding you to my blog siesta prayer list...lots going on for you and your family...your title "journey in the desert" made me smile because i am coming out of a bit of a desert place and it is exciting to be on the other side and processing all that the Lord taught me while i was there...He is so good!! :)
til next time..
Thanks for the encouragement, ladies!! I appreciate your sweet thoughts and prayers!
Hi Renee, I popped over from Alana's blog. It sounds like y'all are definately in Limbo right now. Obviously I don't know you, but I just wanted to say that the house sounds very nice. I understand how you feel about being indulgent, it's something I struggle with too. But sometimes, I think God wants us to be comfortable. To know we're cared for by Him. Just something to think about. Honestly, the stairs in the other house would scare me, for the safety of the kids. And the walking outside, through a parking lot, in the winter, with small kids... again I think, Safe? Whatever you decide, you will be OK. I know that God is watching over you and your sweet family!
Hi Renee!
Thanks for visiting my blog. I love meeting new friends. I hope that we can encourage one another through our thoughts and ramblings.
Your daughters are beautiful. They look so sweet and maybe a little mischievious.
I hope this season of change reminds you that our dependency on Christ is the only "right" thing to do.
Post a Comment