I'm doing better today. It is a beautiful day here. I'm sitting right now at our kitchen table, listening to the sounds of people mowing their lawns. The sun is shining, and there are trees all around (have I mentioned that I love trees?) I took the girls out to run some errands this morning, and have been planning our 'back to Michigan' party. It's kind of funny, Sarah-as of now, 2 families have RSVP'd. Trent Bushnell (the ED of Greater Lansing YFC), and Matt Coppess (the ED of TriCounty YFC in Saginaw, MI). It's just funny to me that YFC is and has been so much a part of my life (especially out here), and you have a connection.
My husband actually had a suggestion for a topic for me to blog about. This is kind of funny, because he usually just teases me about my blogging.
The whole time we were living at my mom's, we were telling Becca that my mom's house was home for us right then, but that we were going to look for a house in Michigan, and that would be our home. When my husband got this new job, we told her that we would be moving to Michigan soon. We told her that we would be living at Amy's house for a while, but that we would be getting our own home, in Michigan, as soon as we could.
She's been hearing all about Michigan for quite a while now. She knows that 'Papa & Nana', 'Aunt Sarah', and 'Aunt Jenny, Uncle Mark, Luke, and Nathan' all live in Michigan. But it's beyond her understanding to comprehend what 'Michigan' is.
The first morning that we were here, while eating her breakfast, she had this to say. "Beh eat breakfast now. After breakfast, Beh go Michigan. Yay, Michigan! Yay!" We smiled and informed her that we were actually in Michigan already. She looked at us thoughtfully and said "No in Michigan. In Amy's house!"
On Monday we were driving around, checking out the town. Becca said "When go Michigan, mommy?" I told her, again, that we were already in Michigan. She said "No Michigan, mommy! Outside!"
So how do you explain to a 2 year old what a state is? Her little mind can only really comprehend what she can see, and what she can remember. She can't relate the concept of a state to anything that is in her understanding. It is just beyond her grasp. She can understand places, and people. Even places that she hasn't been to in a while (she is forever talking about 'Papa & Nana's house'. But she's trying to make Michigan a 'place', and it just can't be pigeonholed like that.
My husband brought up to me that God's plan is like that. He is so much bigger than us, and His plans for us are so much bigger than we can comprehend. We can understand what He's doing now sometimes, or maybe we can anticipate what He may do in the future. We can have an idea of His plan by reading His Word, and spending time with Him. But can we really understand His thoughts? Not really.
We can try to pigeonhole His will, or His plans. We can try to put Him in a box, and think that we have Him figured out. I know that I have a tendency to do that. But He doesn't work that way. He is so much bigger than we can grasp. Trying to understand Him is like trying to get a toddler to understand what 'Michigan' is. We can know good things about Him (just like Becca knows that 'Papa & Nana's house' is in Michigan). We can be excited for Him (yay Michigan!) But is it in our capabilities to completely understand? Not until we get to live with Him.
Something to think about.
3 comments:
You're so right...we will never be able to fully grasp the Lord & His ways until we live in Heaven with Him! Thanks for giving me something to think about today! DId I mention I'm glad you're blogging again?!
Again, the YFC connection is so random and cool! Glad you are reconnecting. Secondly, my husband also does some teasing to me about my blogging. And also, explaining a state to a two year old, yes, is impossible. Great observations about life, Renee. I always look forward to reading your blog!
Oh, that Andy!! Always thinking! Tell him I think he needs his own blog. :)
Becca is so sweet -- I can totally hear her say that. I think one of my favorite things is the way that she says things. Sort of like a cautious observation/question, like she's been thinking about it for a long, long time.
You are so right -- trying to figure God and His ways is so much bigger than us. Boggles my mind, to be quite honest.
Post a Comment