The dictionary/concordance in the back of my Bible defines rest as this:
Freedom from activity or labor; peace of mind or spirit; to take relief or respite; see SABBATH.
The definition for Sabbath is: seventh day of week, divinely set apart for rest and worship; see REST.
Rest.
It is the topic of many disagreements between my husband and myself. He has no problem resting. He can shut out everything around him, and just veg. When he's tired...he rests. Even if I am in a cleaning frenzy around him...he can just tune me out and get the rest he needs. (Which is very frustrating to the one who is doing all the cleaning, while he is lounging).
I, on the other hand, can't seem to slow myself down. Even if I do take the time to sit down and try to rest, my mind doesn't seem to get the hint. My brain just keeps going at 100 miles an hour, thinking of things that need to be done, plans for the week...whatever. I usually pop right back up off of the couch, and rush to do whatever it is that I was just thinking about, before I forget it.
Naps? Oh...my husband could lay down, close his eyes, and fall right asleep. He could stay asleep for 3 hours, if I let him. Me? After about 45 minutes of trying to fall asleep, I might fall asleep for 20 minutes or so. Then I wake up, thinking about things that need to be done, and once again wonder how my husband is able to sleep when there is so much to do.
This doesn't mean that I get much more done than he. At the end of the day, I am grumpy and exhausted. It is at this time when my husband will come up and say "You should have rested like I did." Ha!
I have been reading and hearing about rest a lot lately. The thing is, we just weren't made to run at the speeds that we do. Our bodies, hearts, spirits, and hearts need time to just rest. To just be. To heal from the stresses of the week, and recharge for the week ahead. To play, and nap, and have little responsibility.
So...I've decided to be more like my smart husband.
As a family, we are now going to start observing the Sabbath. Starting today.
There...I said it. Today is a day of rest, worship, and reflection. Of 3 hour naps, and no 'to do' lists. I won't be doing any housework, shopping, or worrying about what needs to be done. We both contributed in some quick prep for a crock-pot dinner (mmmm...beef enchiladas!), and we will both wash up the dishes quickly afterwards.
I won't get frustrated when my husband sits on the couch and watches football all afternoon. I will remember that that is his way of resting. Maybe I'll even join him!
I let Becca change into jammies when we got home from church. A restful day seems like a perfect day to wear jammies all day long.
I will look for ways to bring God into our day of rest. I want this to be a day of rest, and also a day of being filled from His well, and drawing close to Him.
Today's the first day...we'll see how it goes. If any of you have any suggestions on how to make this day more holy, please share!
7 comments:
I grew up in a home that really observed the Sabbath. I applaud you in taking a day to rest & enjoy your family & learn of the Lord. I think if we remember that this even is what the Lord did on the 7th day & what he might desire for us, then it might make it easier. Enjoy!
Renee -- my only suggestion is to maybe start the day with Him. Put on our beloved k-love during breakfast, read some Bible stories with the kids or let them watch Veggie Tales instead of Blue's Clues, and maybe do a quick couple's devotional or something. Then have the rest of the day in the rest frame of mind.
Sounds like a great idea!! Love your new picture at the top, by the way.
We did the same thing, starting just a few years ago. Sometimes it's a challenge to get it all done by Sat. night, but boy, it has been worth it. This fall it's been harder, with Saturdays eaten up with soccer and grocery trips, but I'm still trying! Sunday night has become my favorite time of the week. NOTHING on the agenda = enjoyable rest. No guilt. I'm glad to hear you're going to try it, too... I think there is a blessing in it for you and your family! If you haven't already, read Isaiah 58:13-14. That will clinch it for you! :)
Thanks for the encouragement, girls. This is going to be a hard adjustment for me, I think. But a neccessary one. I need to learn to slow down and enjoy my family more, instead of always thinking about what needs to be done.
You are all blessings to me. :)
And Tara...the new picture is from Andy's home town. Caro, MI. :)
Thank you for your comments on my blog! Glad to be able to give you a laugh - we have no shortage of those at my house! I think it is a woman thing to not be able to actually sit down and rest completely. We tend to feel like the world is on our shoulders (even though we have no control over what happens).
Hi, Renee!
SO nice to "meet" you!! :) Thank you for coming by my blog and introducing yourself! I look forward to reading yours and getting to know you better!
I SO agree with you here. As you read, we decided to start going to church on Saturday nights, and one of the reasons we wanted to do that was so that Sunday could truly be a day of rest. We spent quiet, lingering time with God on Sunday morning, and we just rested all day. Nothing on the agenda. My hubby and I both agreed that this is the kind of rest God wants for us, so that we can truly be rejuvenated, and ready to serve Him and others the rest of the week!
So glad you're going to do this. What a great way to bless your family, and to honor your relationship with God! :)
I even like to make sandwhiches for dinner or a blackened chicken salad that I can cut up all the veggies the day before so I can rest from cooking too.
Sundays are the best around our house!! Can't wait to hear how Sundays become for your home.
Post a Comment