Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Home

Warning: Random, rambling post!

We're home.

Not 'our' house yet, but we're home.

It felt like home when we saw the green trees lining both sides of the highway through Michigan. We knew we were home when we saw nothing but green as far as our eyes could see. We were reminded of what home feels like when our skin became sticky from the humidity.

It was, overall, a seamless move.

It started out a little bit shaky. We were planning on being on the road at 6, and didn't leave until 8. A dead car battery, and an oil leak were responsible for the delay. But we did get a special treat that I believe was just for us. As we pulled out of my mom's driveway, 2 hours later than planned, and more than a little flustered, we saw the most beautiful double rainbow that I have ever seen. It was just there...arching over the road we were traveling on. It was as if God was telling us that everything would be okay...that He would take care of us.

And take care of us, He did. After an uneventful two days in the car, and one night in a hotel, we arrived at Amy's house safely. We had help unloading our truck on Saturday, and we finished unpacking our last box to be unpacked last night. We're all settled in, for now. My husband started his new job today, and our lives are moving right along.

It has been a surreal experience, this move.

I truly feel as if I have lived two different lives over the last 13 years. I have life long friendships that were made in Michigan, and lifelong friendships that were made in Colorado. I have bounced back and forth between the 2 states so often over the last 10 years, that I have to remind myself where I am. I was going to pick up pizza for our friends and family on Saturday, and called my CO friend Tara while on the way. I was talking to her, and feeling like I was back in CO, when I pulled up next to the middle school I attended. Surreal. My two lives existing at one time.

I went to Target on Saturday for some stuff for our house, and ran into one of my Campus Life kids. She was one of my Student Leaders, and even came to my wedding. She wanted me to meet her new husband, and I found out that she knows the company that my husband is working for now, and she and her husband go to the church we'll be attending. It was great to see her, and remember that I did contribute something the last time I lived here.

Since this is all just random ramblings...
This house we're living in is beautiful. Beautiful enough so that I will feel incredibly blessed every day that we're able to live here, but it is also not the house for us. I won't be coveting this house. It's a beautiful house for some family, but not ours. Anyway...the lady who designed the house built it on a hill that backs up to a small wooded area. All of the windows on the back of the house look at trees. Big, beautiful, green trees. It is pure medicine to my heart to look out the windows of this spacious house and see trees. Green is one of the things I missed the most about Michigan.

The way this house is set up, the middle level of the house is a family room, with 2 bedrooms off of it. The girls are in the bedrooms, and we've made the family room a play room. There are toys everywhere, and the girls are having the time of their lives playing there. It makes me smile to see them playing like this. They've never had a 'play room' before.

Allie just started experimenting with crawling before we left my mom's. The first night we got here, she started crawling all over the place. I think she just needed some space. It's the cutest thing to see her crawl, but it also opens other doors. Now she can get into Becca's toys, and Becca isn't too crazy about this development. "No, Allie! Becca's!" Is something I hear countless times during the day now.

Becca's speech has taken another big step. She says 'you' now, and 'I' & 'me'. She says 'right now', and she knows her opposites. This morning I asked Allie if she liked her breakfast, and Becca said "She sure does like her breakfast mommy!" Yesterday morning, my husband was sitting on the couch, holding Becca. She said "Daddy stand up!" He said "I'm not going to stand up right now, honey. If you want me to hold you right now, you can sit on my lap." She got down off of his lap and said "Mommy do (hold) Becca. Mommy no sit down!"

When did she grow up?

I went to Quality Dairy on Saturday, too. (Busy day for me). Above the door they have a big sign. 'Michigan's best apple cider.' MMMMMMmmm.mmmmm....

I miss CO. I miss my friends, and even my mom, dearly. But it feels good to be home.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there!
That's an exquisite sunset...
Julian
www.ijulian.blogspot.com

Sarah Markley said...

You are back! I've been waiting. =)

I'm Tara. said...

Hi, Sweetie! Just FYI - I'm reading this with tears streaming down my face. I miss you so much and the second I saw your comment on my blog, I got all excited because you're "back". I love reading about your kiddos but am sure wanting a hug!! Maybe we can plan a Mommy's weekend away and meet somewhere in the middle sometime? :) Dare to dream!! I love you, friend! How was Andy's first day? How about this just be like an email?? Hee hee.