Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sisters




"To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time." ~Clara Ortega





"A sibling may be the keeper of one's identity, the only person with the keys to one's unfettered, more fundamental self."

~Marian Sandmaier




Sisters.

I am an only child, and have never known the joy of sharing life with a sibling. Some of my best friends while growing up had siblings, and they always told me that I shouldn't complain. They didn't see how being an only child could be so bad.

And I definitely had some advantages. No one to share my toys with. No one to argue with. No one to share my parents' affection.

But I always saw it from the opposite perspective. I had no one to share my toys with. No one to argue with. No one to share my mom's affection with.

This is why I am so glad that Becca has a sister. I would give her 10 more siblings, if time, money, and husband allowed.

My childhood was very lonely, and there wasn't a day where I didn't wish that I had someone to share it with me.

Becca has that. Allie has that. And I am eternally grateful to the Lord for allowing me to give such a wonderful gift to Becca.

When Allie was first born, Becca was pretty skeptical of this new little person in our family. If this gives you any insight to her reaction, she never used to be a good napper. She'd sleep for about 45 minutes, then wake up crying. The day we brought Allie home (and then on), she will stay quietly in her room until we come get her. I think she likes her 'alone' time.

Now that Allie has mastered crawling, she is always close behind Becca. And, even though she wouldn't admit it if you asked her, I know that Becca loves this. She loves that someone looks up to her, and wants to know what she's doing. She loves that someone is interested in her, and not preoccupied with the busyness of life. She loves that someone else knows her in a way that few people do (even though she may not understand this yet.)

Becca is already fiercely protective of her sister. If anyone else takes away Allie's toys, or hurts Allie, Becca is the first one to rush to her defense.

My prayer is that they are friends. More than friends. Sisters. Sisters who can depend on each other...understand each other...know each other. Maybe it's because I haven't been there, and my perception is idyllic, but I think that this is possible. I know that I can't force it on them. There is a possibility that they won't like each other.

But my prayer is that they do. That they see each other for the gift that they are. A sister.


Because I think that this is one of the best gifts that I can give them.

5 comments:

Sarah Markley said...

Ahh. Sisters. I can so relate, in my own life with my sister and with my girls. What a blessing that you are a mama of girls. I always think that God must want me to learn something about girls and women, maybe my own family, because he gave me not one, but two little girls.

I'm Tara. said...

I always wanted a sister...I loved having a brother but especially now as an adult and as a mother, I think it would be wonderful to have a sister. (Oh well, I have two SIL's right?)

I love the pic in the tub where Allie is looking at Becca like she makes the world go round. Becca's not even aware. Precious.

You are such a wonderful Mommy, and your girls are so blessed. I'm so glad they have each other, and that they have you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the thought today. I enjoyed seeing and hearing your story. It has caused me to think about my "Sister's" in Christ who may have that longing even now as an adult.
I will try to be more sensitive to reach out and minister and be a "sister" to those God has brought across my path.

Earen said...

I am very thankful for my siblings. I'm so thankful your girls have each other & like I tell my boys all the time...You are best friends & love each always! You are doing such a great job & you have a beautiful heart for them. They are so darling!!

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post, and I can say a hearty "amen" to the quotes myself! When I had my 2nd daughter, I felt like my oldest was receiving the most precious gift she could get on this earth, and yes, they are best friends. One piece of advice I would give to you as a mom of 2 sisters ages 12 and 10, as well as being a sister myself... make sure that they know other friends will come and go, but they will always have each other. If they are having a hard time getting along, my rule is, no more "outside" friends until you can play together again happily. :) (sometimes outside friends can become distractions or barriers from time to time, I think). One more thing... we never, ever let them speak to each other disrespectfully. Begin that early and they never will. I have people ask me, "but how do you keep them from being ugly to each other?" And honestly, my only answer is, "I don't let them." But, see, I never did... so, they don't know any different now.

I LOVE it that your girls are close. I think they always will be, because you see the value of their relationship and are passing that on to them, making it sparkle in their eyes, too. Love the pictures - they are precious!