Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Back To Square One

Annnnnnnndddddd....just like that, we're right back where we started.

The facts:
-Seconds (literally) after I received the packet of papers that we needed to sign for the closing of our townhome, my phone rang. I assumed it was the title company, calling to verify that I received the papers. Instead, it was our CO realtor. He informed me that the buyer in CO was not approved for his loan. Our realtor explained that the buyer had applied for a 100% loan, and that his request was denied because our townhouse is in an area of decreasing value. (What area in this market isn't decreasing in value?) They tried to get the buyer to consider some different financing options, but he saw his out, and took it. He's walking away from the sale.


-This means that we most likely have to withdraw our offer on the house out here.

-This also means that we need to figure out a place to live. Our original agreement with Amy was that we would talk with her after 60 days, and see where we stood. We were comfortable asking her if we could stay longer when we thought we might have a place to move at the end of that time. As it is now, we have nowhere to go. And we don't want to take advantage of her generosity. But we can't afford to pay our mortgage in CO, and rent out here. So...there's that.

-Our townhouse was off of the market for almost a month. A crucial month, in the real estate world. We will be listing our townhouse again immediately, but are entering the slowest time. The chances of us selling our home in the next 3 months are slim to none, to put it nicely.

This is discouraging. In many different ways.

We really thought that everything was falling into place with this move. God had been answering our prayers one after another, and we really felt that He was blessing this decision. Maybe we were too smug? (Look how God is blessing us!) Or maybe we were presumptuous. I don't know.

I take come comfort in the fact that we hadn't heard back about the house we put an offer on yet. We were excited about the possibility of this house, but didn't have too much time to dream about it. And I was just telling my husband this morning that I didn't think I had a peace about this house yet. I was concerned about the pool, and the money that we'd have to put into it. This is not a concern for us anymore.

I also find comfort in a God who is bigger than my circumstances. Yes, I am discouraged. Yes, I feel let down. Yes, I'm even a little bit angry. I feel like He was taking care of us, and now He's pulled the rug out from under us. Everything is up in the air again.

BUT...He is bigger than that. He doesn't set us up for failure. He wouldn't give us something good, and then snatch it away from us. He sees the big picture, and He knows our needs better than we do. He knows how everything is going to work out. And I don't believe that He would present us with something good, then take it away in order to give us something less.

He has been faithful. He provided my husband with a great job in a great company. He provided us with a wonderful place to move into out here. I don't believe that we're going to be homeless, or that He's going to quit looking out for us. Sometimes (most of the time) His ways just don't make sense to us. Because we just see the present. The now.

So I guess it's time to pick myself up, brush myself off, and get on my knees. Put the house back on the market, and pray. Pray for a place to live that we can afford. Pray for someone to buy our home. Pray that we don't settle for less than His best.

5 comments:

Sittintall said...

Oh, I am so sorry. How awful to be going through this just when you were so close to having everything done. I will certainly pray for you and that even though the house has been off the market for a month, someone falls in love with it and puts an offer on it right away. I'll be thinking of you.

BethAnne said...

I know you are frustrated. Who wouldnt be? Just remember that your situation could change in an instant - dont get discouraged. God is still on the throne and He knows the outcome already - He will take care of everything just like He always does. I will be praying for you!

Sarah Markley said...

I'm so sorry. I know that the right place for you to live is there. God is just making you trust right now. How difficult for you! Keep us posted!

I'm Tara. said...

Renee, I'm so glad that you and Andy have each other and your strong faith to cling to right now. You also have my prayers coming at you...I'm so sorry you're in such a tough spot right now, but I'm with you in trusting that God is working it out. Love you!!!

Short Stop said...

Renee,

I have been reading every single one of your posts and keep checking back. I am just really far behind in commenting right now! When my husband and I were selling our house in Baltimore, offers fell through 3 times...one on the settlement table, one 2 days before, and one a week before. God used that time to really stretch our faith...it was so hard, but looking back, we see how His hand was in all of it. I am praying for you...I KNOW first hand how hard what you're going through is! Thinking of you...