Monday, October 08, 2007

Persevere

At the risk of sounding very much like my friend Tara, I have been inspired by Denise's Soar post to think of a word that will be meaningful to me over the next year.

This has not been an easy choice for me. At first, my word was delight. Or joy. I went back and forth between the two, and kept thinking about how I need to have a more joyful outlook. I need to have joy in spite of my circumstances. Too often I let myself get carried away by worry. Worry then turns into discontentment, and then I have lost my joy. I wish I could delight in life more...there is so much around me to delight in.

While these words were good and inspirational, I didn't feel that they were right for me, at this time. They are definitely areas I need to work on, but I felt I could find a better word.

I moved onto surrender. As of about 15 minutes ago, my word was going to be surrender. The basic definition of surrender is: to give up possession of something: to relinquish possession or control of something. This word sums up what I need to strive for in my life. I need to surrender more. I need to relinquish control (which I don't really have, anyway) to the One who can guide my path. I need to give up possession of my own selfish, willful desires. I need to surrender everything I am to God, trusting that He knows what is best for me better than I do. As I sat down to write this blog, my husband told me he thought surrender
was the perfect word for me. (I am a well known 'clencher').

And then a word that has been bouncing around inside my heart for the last week finally found its place at the front of my mind. I spoke it to my husband, and he said "That's perfect!"

That word is persevere.
Definition: patient endurance of hardship; persisting in a state or enterprise in spite of difficulties and discouragement.

Persisting in a state or enterprise in spite of difficulties or discouragement. Wow. This one word pretty much sums up all of the other words that I had considered using. I can persevere in joy...persisting in that state in spite of the things that life throws at me.

I can persevere in a state of surrender. Continuing to give control over to my Father in spite of the difficulties that my selfish heart keeps creating.

This word is found in one of my favorite scriptures.
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1
This life. This Christian life. It needs to be run with perseverance. It needs to keep on in spite of any roadblocks or discouragement. I'm ashamed to admit how many times I am sidetracked by these 'difficulties'. And how easily I am 'discouraged'.
My marriage needs me to persevere. 1 Corinthians 13:7 tells me that "(Love) always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." So this isn't just about my faith. This word can apply to my relationship with my husband as well. I need to persevere...to keep working on our relationship, even when I am discouraged, or there are difficulties.
I also need to persevere in loving my children. I have a 2 year old right now, and even though she's precious, she can be frustrating at times. So can my often teething 8 month old. I need to persevere in loving them with grace, even when I am discouraged.
In Hebrews, the author talks about Moses. About how he gave up the life of luxury that he was living, in order endure the same hardships as his people. He did this because he knew what was waiting for him. "By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king's anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible." 11:27
Do I see him who is invisible? Even when it's not easy, or I am feeling let down?
I do if I persevere.
The Bible says that "....we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character, and character, hope." Romans 5:3
Well...I feel like I've been through the suffering part of this verse. Now I'm moving on to perseverance. And after that, character. Then hope.

10 comments:

Renee said...

Okay...I have to apologize. Anyone know why none of my paragraph breaks worked, towards the end? It just kind of jumbled them all together, and it's hard to read. Sorry! I'm a little behind on blogging skills. (I did try editing my post, but that didn't change anything).

Anonymous said...

I know, sometimes my blog does weird, strange things, like independently deciding to put four spaces in between each paragraph, or then, putting none at all! And, yeah, sometimes it looks fine, then you post it and it goes beserk. What happens in cyber-space to our well-ordered words???
Weird.

BUT... I love your word, and the post was beautiful, and I didn't have trouble reading it at all. AND... I love your new look! WOW!
I still don't know what my word would be. I said "rest," but like you, I'm re-thinking. It will come to me. Sarah's word, "Wisdom" comes to mind a lot. I got a necklace for each daughter, with a word that identifies each of them to me and John. Courtney's was "graceful." Claire's was "joyful." Shhh... it's a Christmas gift. They were so pretty and dainty.

I can't believe it's so late - must get in the bed! Congrats on your 2 pounds! Whoooppeee!

Earen said...

What a great post Renee! Perseverance is so key in things we do everyday & in our eternal relationship with Christ. For some reason, when I think of perseverance I think of the phrase from "Finding Nemo"..."just keep swimming, just keep swimming." Dori (the fish) just keeps going - never giving up...and amazingly always does it with a happy heart. Thank you for the encouragement today Renee. I needed to hear that..

Anonymous said...

Perseverance is a great word---I need it too in my life. It wouldn't be just a year word---it would have to be a lifetime word for me.
I am sorry I haven;t had a chance to stop by in a few days but I LOVE the new look. You have me thinking what I can do to make some changes!! You have me ready and looking forward to fall. Are the leaves already changing where you are at?

Sittintall said...

That is a great choice in a word for the year. I hope you do persevere through the pain, strife, and hardships you endure this year.

PS Like the new look to your blog! My skills are lacking in the blogging department too, so I haven't strayed away from the googles choice in templates. I can't even figure out how to link!

Alana said...

Perseverance...ugh! That is such a tough one. I love the verse, though, with a promise of hope. And who of us haven't seen our character improved from a little perseverance?

I'm Tara. said...

Ohh, what a scary way to begin your post! LOL

I love your word -- it's perfect, Andy's right!! You can do it, especially if you lean on Him. I'm so lucky to call you my friend!!

By the way, I chose Romans 5:3 for my own 1st Place memorization this week. Want the NLV version? I happen to have it in my head! :) "We should be thankful for problems and trials -- for they help us. They are helping us learn to endure."

Love you!

BethAnne said...

Great Word for all of us! Perseverance is not easy, but necessary. Thanks!

Sarah Markley said...

I love it. Persevere has such a hard sound to it, I agree (like you are in the middle of something painful), but you know, I don't know if there is anything I would want more than it! Great post! =)

Short Stop said...

I LOVE your word. It's inspiring, and indicates hope! I loved reading this post!