Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Surrendering My Dreams

We are in the process of making an offer on a house. Hopefully our house. Our home.

We looked at a few other houses last night, but none of them lived up to the dreams that have already started to form in our hearts about 'the house with the pool. And the fantastic back yard.'

This process of making an offer is a complicated one. There are many factors involved, and many opportunities for something to come up that would make us walk away. The house just went into foreclosure, so we aren't just dealing with a homeowner anymore, we're also dealing with the bank. But it's not solely owned by the bank (there is a redemption period for the buyer), so we have the homeowner to deal with, as well as the bank. There is also a relocation company to go through. (The husband in this family is being relocated to California, and his company is taking care of all the details, I guess.) We also put some contingencies in the offer. We're asking for money for new flooring (they have a dog, and Becca is allergic), and money for new windows (some of the windows in the house already don't even shut all the way).

Once we make the offer (which will be finalized today), then it may be weeks before we hear back. If the offer that the bank counters with doesn 't meet our needs, then we can counter again, but that could also take a few weeks. It is not a speedy process, when dealing with banks. This means an abundance of patience and trust will be needed.


The house will need to be inspected. Several times. There will be a boiler inspection, a pool inspection, a house inspection. They will be inspecting the kitchen, to see if we could remodel sometime in the near future (the kitchen is an eyesore, I'll tell you. And the cabinet doors either don't open, or are falling off).



All of this being said, we are at peace.

There are so many details that we could get stuck on. Sometimes it's overwhelming to think about all the work that needs to be done on this home. The concrete both in the driveway and out by the pool is cracked. The roof needs to be redone. We will have to replace the siding. The house needs all new doors, new trim, a new railing by the stairs. There is wallpaper to be torn down, and baseboards to replace. There is a deck that needs to be redone, and holes in the yard to tend to.

But oh...the possibilities. I can see them in my mind's eye.

This house has a big back yard. A beautiful back yard. With mature trees. There is room enough for a large garden (my dream). There is room enough for me to put in a firepit (images of bonfires are dancing in my head). There is room for us to pitch tents and go camping in our yard. Room enough to play ball. To live life.

The pool is scary. But I know that there are things we can do to watch out for the girls. And what a blessing it could be!

We've been praying for a house that we can minister with. A house with an open door, where people can come and hang out, and be loved. This house is perfect for that. It has strong potential to be a home. A safe haven.

With these fears and dreams running through my mind, there is only one place I can go.

I'm laying them down at the throne. At the feet of the Most High God, who cares about all of these dreams and fears. I'm trusting Him with my precious ideas and doubts. And I'm asking for His best. For His blessing. For His protection.

So it is with peace that I surrender my dreams. I know that if this house doesn't work out, then God has something better for us. And if it does work out, then He will give us the means to make it a home.

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord, "plans to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11
What a mighty God we serve!!!!

4 comments:

I'm Tara. said...

I'm so, so proud to be your friend, Renee. You are right about each and every word -- He is in control and you will know that His plans are happening based on the way it goes. I will keep His will for your new home in my prayers, as I have been.

Sittintall said...

I will pray for you as the house deal goes through. The anticipation has to be killing you. Anyway, sounds great! I will keep my fingers crossed.

PS My family lives in Illinois (not too far, but I would love to be so much closer)

Earen said...

Your perspective on things is so refreshing to hear. It's so hard to release what we want to His hands & yet we know that when we do, everything works out so much better! Just think friend, He opened up this job for your husband, He opened up this home for you to live in for the time being, He has a contract on your townhome here in Colorado...He's going to take care of a new home for you & it's going to be perfect. I've watched Him open so many doors for you guys & I know it's hard to wait, but in the waiting comes the learning so much of Him. Love you friend!

Short Stop said...

I am praying for you! Your faith here is just amazing, Renee! YES, God is in control, and is always faithful!