Thursday, September 21, 2006

Eighteen Months

My baby girl had her eighteen month check-up today. She's a year and a half already! Time sure does fly by.

I've been thinking a lot lately about when Becca was just a baby. I think it's a combination of Becca turning 18 months, and knowing that this baby will be here before we know it.

I remember very clearly when she was born. She wasn't turning pink, so they had to put her on oxygen right away. I didn't even get to hold her-they showed her to me, and took her away. Once I was in the wheelchair, they wheeled me in to the nursery so I could see her. The poor little girl was lying there, with all the monitors hooked up to her, and the oxygen mask on, just crying away. But she was so beautiful. I remember just being overwhelmed at what a miracle she was.

My husband cried the next morning while holding her. He said "So many things in life are at least a little disappointing. Especially things that you look forward to. But she is better than anything I could have ever imagined."

It's funny to look back. I remember being so completely overwhelmed those first 6 weeks (longer than that, actually). I didn't think I was ever going to get a full night of sleep again, or ever feel sane again. I thought taking care of a baby was SO difficult. Now, I wish I had been able to enjoy those moments more. It goes by so fast.

Becca can walk, run, and climb all over the place. She can say about a dozen words, and point to about 25 different body parts. She answers 'yes' or 'no' questions, and is starting to show interest in potty training. She's really growing up fast, and is turning into a little girl right before our eyes. Before we know it, she'll be in preschool, then kindergarten.

I need to make more of an effort to enjoy the time I have with her now. It really IS a treasure. I can see that now. Although, I may need to be reminded of that from time to time.

We did get good news at the dr's today. She is now in the 20% for her weight. She was at 10% at her 1 year visit, and wasn't even on the charts prior to that. This is a HUGE improvement. She's in the 50% for her height, which is also an improvement. She's really starting to catch up, growth wise.

Today, I am going to thank God again and again for blessing us with this beautiful little girl. I don't know why He thought my husband and I were deserving of raising such a precious daughter of His, but she's ours, and I'm happy.

No comments: