Warning: This entry contains a graphic story about poop, so don't read if you're bothered by talk of poo. I'm usually not a 'poo' person myself, but sometimes, you just don't have a choice. This IS a pretty icky story, though.
So I know that being a mom is one of the most wonderful things in life. And most of the time, I agree with that. And then there are days when you just have to laugh, because that's the only way you'll get through.
Today started out really well. We decided to go to church this morning, so the early part of the morning was spent getting ready, eating breakfast, yadda, yadda, yadda. Of course I was super tired, and grumpy (which always seems to happen right before church), but once we got there, it was worth it.
We dropped Becca off in the nursery, and went to the service. It was great. It just felt good to be there, and be a part of things again. I really miss going to church. Anyway...we pick up Becca afterwards, and take a little drive, to give her a chance to take a quick 10 minute snooze, if she wants. We drive through Starbucks, and head home. Peaceful. :)
When we're almost home, Becca starts crying. We think it's because she's tired (she missed her morning nap to go to church), but when I look back at her, I can see that she's holding her breath, like she's pushing. I realize that she hasn't pooped in 3 days, and that she must be having a hard time. We hurry home, and we both try comforting her while she pushes. That usually works when she's constipated, but it doesn't this time. She just keeps crying, and it's obvious that she's in a LOT of pain.
We keep comforting her, and I say to Andy "I've heard horror stories about parents who have had to help their child poo. Like physically help get the poo out." We both kind of grimace, and go back to comforting her.
Finally, when her cries just keep getting worse, we decide to try running a warm bath for her. I remember that after I had her, sitting in a warm tub helped me feel better. So we take her upstairs. My husband starts running a bath, and I start getting her ready. She's still just crying like there's no tomorrow. Icky warning- When we get her diaper off, my husband says "Oh wow...no wonder she's crying!" I check it out, and let's just say that there was no way she was going to be able to get rid of that on her own. He says "give me something to help her with", then he (bless his heart) helps her get it out. (Just like the 'horror' stories I was telling him about earlier). I am SO grateful that he was the one who did that...I tell you, he earned big time brownie points with that one.
We get her in the bath, and she starts to become herself again. I feed her some lunch, and my husband takes off to go to one of his fantasy football drafts. He tells me to have a nice nap, and I start thinking about how I want to spend her nap time. There are some books I've been wanting to read...I haven't had a chance to look at the paper yet...maybe I'll get online..or take a nap!!
I'm sitting in the living room, eating a sandwich and looking at the paper (as much as I can with Becca running around). Then she comes up to me, holds onto my leg, and pushes again. Now, I love the little bug, and I want to help her in any way that I can, but I'm also pregnant, and having a REALLY hard time with smells right now. I kiss her on her head, and go stand in the kitchen to eat my sandwich, because I can't be near that smell while I'm eating.
So I'm eating, and I hear some really 'not good' noises coming from the living room. Lots of gurgling, and just sick sounding noises. I look out there, and there's Becca...standing where I left her, with small pools of wet stuff at her feet. Five pools, to be exact. I drop my sandwich, and take her upstairs.
I haven't had to change a 'blow out' diaper in a long time, so I was out of practice. It was just yucky....all over the place. By the time I get her changed and cleaned up, and the carpet scrubbed a little, it's her nap time. I gather all the messy clothes and stuff from her room, and put her down for her nap.
This is how I've spent her nap time (that I have been looking forward to all day) so far.
-gathered laundry together
-brought laundry downstairs, and spent 20 minutes scrubbing at poo stains
-started soaking dishes to wash in the sink (I needed to wash dishes in order to have a sippy cup to put her milk in when she wakes up)
-sprayed carpet stuff on poo stains on carpet
-wash dishes
-check on Becca. She's sleeping peacefully (but who knows for how long)
-scrub carpet
-pick up trail of discarded sweaters, socks, and coats left by Becca over the weekend so far
-pick up newspapers that Becca spread all across the floor while I was scrubbing at the carpet earlier
-spray Febreze all over the living room to try to get rid of poop smell
-take stinky diapers out to the dumpster
-switch laundry
-remind myself that husband deserves a break, and I shouldn't resent him for being with his buddies, having fun, while I'm home scrubbing poopy carpets and clothes (on the weekend!)
She's been asleep for an hour now. She'll probably wake up in 30 minutes or so, so I should see if I can relax before the little stinker wakes up. It's a good thing I love her like I do, or else I'd be sitting in the bathtub, banging my head against the wall. I'll need to remind her of that love if she ever reads this blog entry. : )
Addendum: She took a THREE hour nap!! That is virtually unheard of for our little active girl. She must have felt so much better, she could finally relax enough to sleep. Poor little baby!
2 comments:
oh my word -- how awful! Poor Becca!!G has gotten constipated since starting solids too -- we're now on day #3 ourselves. :( Ya know it's bad when the poo situation is blog-worthy.
I'm just glad that you weren't TOO grossed out by that story. Andy couldn't believe that I actually wrote about it. (Yet he has been telling all his guy friends about it). I think he just likes to let people know he did something so 'gross' for his little girl. :P
Post a Comment