Friday, November 24, 2006

Is it Thanksgiving yet?

Thanksgiving, 2006 will be one to remember. "The year it fell on a Saturday."

Our sweet daughter Becca was kind enough to bring the stomach flu home from the nursery. I had MOPS on Friday, and she started throwing up Saturday night. Hubby and I went to a dinner party, (we're praying that we didn't pass it on there) and I was awoken at 3 in the morning. And again at 6. And 7. And so the day went.

Hubby went to the Broncos game Sunday night, and Becca seemed like she was feeling better. She was sick again Monday morning, and hubby said he felt like he was dragging all day at work. He thought he was just tired from the game. Nope. Monday night, he was up all night in the bathroom.

So...I felt pretty yucky on Tuesday. Extra tired, kind of queasy, just beat. But I had the privilege of taking care of 2 sickos. I called the doctor about Becca, and they told us that they've been seeing this nasty stuff lasting for 5-7 days this year. Usually the stomach bugs only last 12-24 hours. Nice.

So I fall into bed Tuesday night feeling beyond exhausted. And frustrated. I was soooo tired and weak all day, but took care of my hubby and daughter. I guess I have a sense of self-entitlement when I'm pregnant. Who was there to take care of me? Even though I know they were both sick, I wanted someone to take care of me. Look after me. I should know better, though. I still need to adapt my expectations when my hubby is sick. Every time he gets sick, it strains our marriage. He doesn't handle it how I wish he would, and I don't have a lot of patience. It's hard for me to have sympathy when the majority of my days are spent with a yucky headache, sore back, upset tummy, or just feeling too tired to move. But I don't have a choice when I feel like that- Becca still needs me, and there are things to be done. But if hubby gets one of those? Whoa...watch out! He's in bed the whole day. Can't do anything.

Sidenote: I just read in a magazine that men have a 'self-preservation' attitude. When they're tired, they nap. When they need a break, they take one. Women, on the other hand have a hard time looking past all the stuff that needs to be done. We don't take breaks when we need them, or rest like we should. Hubby is always telling me I need to rest more, and I'm always wishing he would 'do' more. How can he sit and play his video game for 2 hours when there's housework to be done? How can he be napping when we still have 8 things to do before tomorrow? When, really...I should be more like him. It would be good for me to let things go more often, and just rest. I don't know why that's so hard? (I think this relates to sickness as well...that's why I went off on this tangent).

Anyway...I was up all night Tuesday, in the bathroom. The 'bug' officially got all of us. Wednesday was a pretty low-key day. Becca was really tired, so she pretty much just laid on daddy all day. Which was nice, because it meant we were all able to rest.

So here it is Friday. Day 6 for Becca, day 5 for hubby, and day 4 for me. I'm feeling mostly back to my pregnant self. Still a little queasy and headachy, but nothing out of the ordinary for me. My hubby says his tummy is still bothering him a little (just pain), and our little Becca is a sleeper today. She keeps asking for naps, and just wants to lay down wherever she is. Which is completely NOT like her. She doesn't have a fever or anything, though. And we've been getting her to eat and drink some. We're hoping it's just the bug working its way out of her. It's hard though, seeing her so uncomfortable. And for so long.

We're having Thanksgiving at our house tomorrow. None of us felt like eating on Thursday, and we didn't want my mom to get sick, so we had to quarantine ourselves. Hopefully we'll feel a little more normal tomorrow.

And we're praying that we have our spunky little bug back soon, too. We've enjoyed the snuggle time (well, daddy has...she only wants him right now), but we miss our little firecracker, too.

No comments: