I was less than a year old the first time I came to Denver.
My parents were married out here, and they moved back out here after I was born. It was in a living room in Denver where my dad broke my mom's heart when he told her he was leaving.
My mom moved back to Michigan so that she would have a support system, and that is where I spent my childhood years.
She and I moved back west after I graduated high school, and it was in the shadow of the Rocky Mountains that I formed most of my adult memories.
I grew up in Michigan, but it has been Colorado that has shaped me. I grew up in Michigan, but I found my independence in Colorado. I was a good girl in Michigan, but sowed my 'wild oats' in Colorado.
Granted, some of my memories (or unfortunately, lack thereof) of Colorado are regretful memories. Memories of actions I wish I could take back. Hurtful words spoken, and embarrassing stories I'm ashamed of. Memories of a life that isn't mine anymore.
But mostly, my memories are sweet. And vibrant. Alive, even.
-I have gone on spontaneous camping trips to the mountains. Some planned out days ahead of time, some decided at 10:30 the same night.
-I have gone white water rafting down the Arkansas River, and have looked up at the Royal Gorge from my perch in a raft, paddle in hand.
-I have spent lazy days at the reservoirs, lying in the sun, having BBQ's with my friends, and laughing the day away.
-I have hiked in the Garden of the Gods, driven to the top of Pikes Peak and Mt. Evans, and seen several different concerts at Red Rocks.
-I have watched the sunset over the mountains and have experienced awe and wonder that is untouchable.
-I have been to more 'happy hours' than I can mention, been to more parties than I can remember, and have danced at almost every club and restaurant downtown.
-I have strolled along the 16th Street Mall at night, people watching with my husband.
-I have seen 'Chicago', 'Les Miserables', 'Rent', 'Miss Saigon', and 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat' at the Buell Theater downtown.
-I have watched the Denver Broncos play at the original Mile High stadium. I saw the Colorado Rockies play there before Coors Field was built, also.
-I have been to countless Rockies games, and had the great experience of attending one of their fireworks games in July. (One of the best displays I've seen!)
-I have been to Avalanche games at McNichols, and the Pepsi Center. I've watched Avalanche games at the Pepsi Center when the Avs were out of town (remember that, Tara?)
-I have been a cashier, customer service, Team Leader, and supervisor at Target. I've been a waitress at Applebee's (Tara- you'll always be my Applebuddy!), and a Claims Examiner for Great West Life.
-I have spent the 4th of July in Vail, and watched the fantastically beautiful fireworks display over a lake in Avon.
-I have skied in Keystone, and spent days strolling around Breckenridge and Aspen.
-I have seen every part of Rocky Mountain National Park, and have even done a few service projects there.
-I have sat atop Lookout Mountain and gazed with wide eyed wonder at the city at my feet.
-I have had my heart broken more times than I count while living out here.
-I gave birth to both of my daughters out here, and this is the only place they've known as 'home'.
-My faith became 'real' to me out here. I became a Christian in high school, but I didn't really let it change my life until I learned some things the hard way, out here.
-I have made friendships out here that I pray will last the rest of my life.
It is amazing to me how God works. I met and married my husband in MI (that's another blog in itself), and circumstances brought us back to Colorado. Michigan has always been 'home' in our hearts, but I believe that if my husband hadn't lived with me here in Colorado that he never would have known the real me. He has now experienced both of my lives, if you will, and I am so grateful for this.
Michigan is home. It's where my heart is, and it is where my family is. I have friends there whom I've known for 20+ years. But Colorado will always hold a place in my heart that will be untouchable.
1 comment:
Love the new picture, by the way! :)
Yep, I remember - and you will always be MY Applebuddy! *hugs*
I am with ya in feeling like I've led two lives. whew. Some of those stories -- yikes.
It's nice to see you being so reflective and thoughtful. You are such a blessing to me.
Post a Comment